NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bytales

Bytales Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Was just asking because i saw the 680m comes with 4gb then i saw on dell 2gb model.

I installed evga precision x, and with sli enabled in diablo 3, all maxed out and adaptive vsync on, i get 60 fps stable and aprxo 430mb from each card is occupied.

I guess 2 gb should be enough for most of the games out there, if not for all.

Was just thinking, since one pays a load of money , might as well receive the 4gb model.

Also wanted to ask, the temperature of my cards are 78-79 for the main and aprox 70 for the second when i play diablo 3, usage is about 50-60%. I know its hot in my room, but are not these temp a bit to hot ?

Also if one gets 680m sli with 4gb each totalling 8gb video memory one could keep up with the golden rule that always stands, 4 times more RAM then Video memory. meaning the 32gb ram in the m18x2

Now i have 460m sli with 1,5gb each (3gb video ram) and 12 gb ram in the x7200. Coincidence ?

I guess the 4gb model would be usefull with a quad FULL HD retina like display in a laptop. But untill then, even a quad HD will be an improvement. It seems we can't get away from the 1080p resolutions. Its seems we are stuck with them.

2. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That golden rule doesn't make any sense for games, maybe CAD or 3D work.

3. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    What.

Firstly, it doesn't 'total' 8GB video memory in actual usage. Because of the way SLi (and Crossfire on AMD cards) works, both cards have the same files on their VRAM at any one time, so the total usable VRAM is that of a single card - 4GB in this case - no matter how many GPUs you have linked up.

Secondly, suggesting you need that much RAM is ridiculous. 8GB, if anything, is still overkill for today's games. Very few games will utilise even half of that, most graphically intensive games I play use about 1.5GB-2GB of RAM, possibly up to 2.5GB.

For the vast majority of people, the only reason you'd ever want more than 8GB of RAM today (on non-server machines) is if you wanted to run a RAMdisk, or if you're running CAD applications or virtual machines. This applies no matter what GPU you're using.

4. highfly

highfly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    apparently the 4GB v2GB Vram on the desktop 680 doesn't make any differnce even with high res monitors as its chocked by the 256bit bus

5. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am with you on this one. Why pay so much money and not get the best version of the card.

6. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    Because outside of a few specific cases (as in the one you quoted) which only apply to very few people, there's absolutely no benefit in having the 'best version'.

It's like on the old M14x R1, the 555M came in 1.5GB and 3GB versions. The 3GB was only marginally more expensive...but what's the point of paying that little bit extra when there's no performance benefit?

7. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So your ok with paying 2x the price of a 7970 but 2.1x the price for the higher end version of the same card is out of the question?

Bottom line we don't "need" the 680m or the 7970 to run most games at 1080p but we choose to upgrade! So since I am choosing to upgrade I am also choosing to upgrade to the best version out there. If I wanted the best bang for my buck it would be the 7970 but since I want to go nvidia this time round and pay the inflated price then I might as well get their top tier version of the card.

8. killaz05

killaz05 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you are misusing the term "more bang for your buck." Just because the 7970 has more vRAM does not mean it is more powerful then the 680m, in fact the 680m is the more powerful card even with less vRAM so it is worth the money over the 7970. I also understand what you mean about getting the best card that Nvidia offers. I too want the 4GB card because why not. I am already going to pay a ton of money, why not go all of the way and I am sure I will find a use for the extra vRAM at some point. It is also a bragging thing to an extent. I can say "I have dual 4GB GTX 680m SLI, what do you have?" Haha that sounds nice. Are they going to perform different from the 2GB cards? No, so I would recommend if you are getting a new system to stick with the 2GB from Dell when having one built. For someone like me with the R1, then either is a viable option really.

9. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In all actuality, the Dell 680M and 7970M have the exact same about of GDDR5. Also, with the benchmarks posted so far, they both appear to be rather close. Or have I missed a major site benchmark review?

10. killaz05

killaz05 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought I read somewhere that the 7970s were 3GB cards. Oh well, but I would rather the Nvidia due to driver support and PhysX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.