NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazmorbid

mazmorbid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah same.

2. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just installed the 680s into my R1 and tried changing the INF file, problem is when I try and save the changes it says "Access is denied"

How do I go around this?

3. mazmorbid

mazmorbid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Copy the .inf file to the desktop (or anywhere else) edit it there and save it, then copy the file back to where it was overwriting the original one.

4. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's official...I'm an idiot...got it working.

5. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    well you must not be that much of an idiot!! you did get them working ~
    congrats on your upgrade! thats one mean beast you have now!
    Do you see any improvement over the 580s?

6. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Afternoon everyone. I finally got a single 680M installed in my R1, and I'm having a few issues. I bought it from an Ebay seller. Everything looked fine when the package came in the mail, and the install was relatively painless.

There's a message before my laptop even POSTs now about the Svl7 VBIOS it's running, and the core clock is at 760. So the guy who owned it before me must have been OC'ing the card.

The display driver crashes about every 30 seconds UNLESS I'm gaming, which is better than the other way around, but still annoying. I'm running the 326.41 driver.

How do I edit clocks/voltages? Nibitor and other programs will load the VBIOS, but can't read/edit the clocks or voltage? I know how to flash the VBIOS from a USB stick, but that makes no difference when I can't manipulate the clocks or voltage. I read a lot about these cards overclocking like mad, but I never bothered to figure out how to do it. Is there a guide for dummies somewhere?

Any help is very much appreciated.

7. tecrp7

tecrp7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use Nvidia Inspector Nvidia Inspector 1.97.1 Download - TechSpot to overclock my cards and I believe a lot of others do as well. You can only adjust the clocks not the voltage, at least from when I last checked.

Also I think the drivers that everyone likes is 314.22 Drivers | GeForce.

I think what you should do is flash you vbios back to stock and start from there to eliminate any probabilities of a bad flash or any other issues. That way you know where to start.

If you want the stock vbios PM and I will send it to you if your card is a DELL 680m.

As far as how to overclock, it is an art and every card OC differently. Cooling is a huge factor obviously as well as power as you can see Mr. Fox and John's progress with the dual power adapter project. The best thing is to start in small increments, I am no where near an expert or guru in OC so I cant really give you good advice.

Good luck with everything and again if you want that vbios let me know.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I use EVGA Precision X. Afterburner works great, too. I prefer Precision X because it has K-boost and has 10 profiles available, and you can use keystroke combos or TactX keys to switch GPU profiles on the fly without ever opening anything or moving any sliders. Just decide on your key combos and clocks, set them and you're done. Works awesome.

9. tecrp7

tecrp7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good point Mr. Fox. I forgot about K-Boost. So I would say I use both :).

K-Boost if you don't know keeps your video cards clock locked at what you set them too instead of "scaling" back when not being used.

10. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox: I am just going to combine this thread and our PM for simplicity, if you don't mind.

Here are the front and rear pictures of the card, although I can't read the numbers on any of the little labels. I did not take pictures of the card before I installed it...I was too excited!

680M Front.jpg

680M Rear.jpg

The card came as a kit for someone who wanted an SLI setup. I got the GPU, a secondary M18x heatsink, and an SLI cable. I already had a primary 680M heatsink from Dell.

I'm guessing a VBIOS flash will remedy the problem, so if someone would be kind enough to send me the one I need (card is green PCB), I would really appreciate it.

The card is an absolute monster. I have only played WoW, Black Ops II, and Crysis Warhead so far. I can jack every setting up to maximum and run a smooth 60fps. Even with the new 16xAA options I have in all of my games, 60fps smooth as butter. My OC'd 7970M could never do that. I'm a happy camper, just need to iron out a few issues.

I also can't get a 3D Mark 2013 run to work correctly. The test starts out at it's typical ~22fps, and then plummets down to ~8fps. I know it is OS or software related, because my 7970M did the same exact thing.

Games all work smooth as butter though, which is what matters. The display driver did crash half a dozen times just while I typed this though.

Really appreciate all of the help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.