NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince207gti

vince207gti Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    has anyone ordered a m18x with sli ? how long did it take to get your rig from "preparation" to "production" ?

2. Ironleaf

Ironleaf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The average time to go from production to shipping right now is misleading. Figure two weeks at the most right now. Once their stock of 680m improves that number should drop quite a bit.

3. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have the 680m in sli? What is your 3dmarks11 score and how is it doing in games?

4. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    You're running three monitors with a higher resolution than what's considered average. Of course 2GB of VRAM will choke that; the standard multi-screen setup typically uses 1920x1080 screens.

But you've got a bigger problem: 6990 crossfire is not fast enough to run games at that sort of resolution, regardless of the amount of VRAM.

680M's will be the same. Even with 680M SLi, you're not going to be able to run games at 7680x1600 and high detail, even if you have 4GB of VRAM. The GPUs just aren't powerful enough for that.

My point is that the GPU power and shader count will bottleneck the system before the amount of VRAM will. So what's the point of having more VRAM?

5. ironminded

ironminded Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to back EviLCorsaiR on this one; running games at something in the neighborhood of 7680x1600 is going to death-grip the hell out of almost any set of graphics cards, laptop or desktop, currently out there. If you were to set up a 4xSLI or 4xCF desktop rig with some of the high end [670, 680, 7990] cards out there right now you might get away with it but even then it could be dicey.

Remember; even jumping from a 1920x1080 to a 2560x1600 res monitor is DOUBLING your pixel count. So when you jump from a 1920x1080 res to a triple screen setup to a triple screen setup with 2560x1600 monitors your dumping a huge amount of extra load on the graphics cards in a system.

While laptop graphics have come a long way and boast some pretty nifty capabilities with this generation, they just done have the compute power [irregardless of the amount of vram you throw at them] to power resolutions that high.

6. Bothi_G

Bothi_G Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered mine on Monday, July 2nd. It's already in production, but the delivery date isn't until the 23rd. Sucks because I am impatient as all get out. I am a US customer, and I ordered 680m sli rig.

7. vince207gti

vince207gti Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Bohti, hope mine will be in production soon, ordered it the 27th june, still in preparation, delivery date is 24th july ... (french customer)

i assume the building and testing time won't last more than two weeks, you'll have it soon :D

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You guys must be so excited. A week seems like a lifetime when you are waiting for something this awesome. Congrats to both of you.

9. MonnieRock

MonnieRock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I need 4GB for Digital Combat Simulator A-10C. Using high viewing distances and high textures for terrain/vehicles/objects uses over 2.6GB and that is not maxing everything out :cool:

So why would I take a step backwards on stettings, limit myself on current and future advances offered in the application when purchasing a new system?

Thank you,
    Monnie

10. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Talking the amount of VRAM vs. multi display setups: Let's start from the fact that 3 monitors cannot be connected to a single M18x talking a proper nvidia surround setup. You cannot mix digital with analogue output signal to go surround, and there is only one mini-DP and one HDMI out in m18x.

In other words 680M won't run surround regardless if it has 2GB of VRAM or 10. :eek:

BTW, the card will be obsolete next year anyway so what's the commotion about VRAM out of sudden? Will this year's games run fine maxed out on the 2GB version? Yes they will. There, done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.