Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER and RTX 2080 SUPER

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cj_miranda23, Mar 5, 2020.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Did you lock the voltages by hitting L?

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm guessing those of you with shunt mods are seeing "pwr" as the throttle reason in GPU-z, despite reported power being no where near the power limit.

I get the same on a modded 2060. I get power related throttling despite only 35W of the 90W TDP being reported (usually 130W actual, but it does sometimes drift higher). I think I figured out why. The VRM responsible for the core voltage reports its current readings to the GPU core, which bypasses shunt mods. Going around 50% higher than default TDP starts tripping the core power limit.

It's very easy to mod the reported current. I plan on trying it tomorrow and will make a guide if it works. Clevo uses all the same parts as the desktop Founders boards so this has a pretty big affected user base.

Also for those worried about blowing out FETs, the FETs used on the clevo 20 series all have on die temp sensors. I have 2/3 of the 2070's power circuit (will have a full 2080 circuit soon) and thermal shutdown gets tripped at about 140W unless I keep the card under 80C. A 2070 should be fine up to around 200W.

senso, Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  3. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Only seen VREL, when card is set for 1.063v, with all 3 shunts shorted on this 1080N.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah 10 series doesn't have this issue. Only 20.

For VREL you just need to keep your card under 50C. Good luck with that pulling ~230W with power limit removed.

Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  5. jc_denton

Reputations:
    A 400W vapor chamber helps ;)

Papusan likes this.
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In my case I get the pwr throttle reason when I run a cpu and gpu stress test at the same time. That's because the total system power draw is exceeding the 230w my adapter can supply.

I'll be recieving my 330w adapter in a week which will hopefully allow me to hit desktop 2080 performance.

jc_denton likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats interesting to know.
    Is it as simple as changing registers with something akin to RWeverything?
    But the shunts are still measuring something, so in the end we might need to shunt mod+soft mod to get the best results.
    Really interested in knowing a bit more about your findings.

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll be testing that in a week or so once i get my 330w adapter.

I have a 190w 2080 vbios which i can flash on top of having the shunt mod.

Hopefully i dont blow up my laptop

jc_denton likes this.
  9. jc_denton

Reputations:
    As long as the card doesn't drop too much clock due to temps and boost 4.0, you should see some nice gains.

10. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shunt mods should be unnecessary, but they improve efficiency, particularly on 20 series where the shunts are in series. There is one 5mOhm shunt for total card power, then a second for just core power, but this 2nd shunt seems to not be used in any calculation. The pair of resistors that then scale the shunt reading give much more adjustment range than the shunts.

As for the VRM current reporting mod, I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I'm still waiting for FETs from China to show up to double up my core FETs (Clevo MXM 2060 has 2 core phases with doubled FETs and inductors. I moved 2 FETs to the unused phase pads and activated the phases) and until then I only have 4 total, which are giving me issues with throwing thermal trip errors already, and a VRM current reporting mod will make that worse. 20 series cards don't have Schottkey diodes on their power phases, so I am adding them from dead cards. I am also connecting my phase inductor pairs together so one FET on a phase can drive both. I also deleted the seemingly unused core current shunt. These 3 mods plus another harder to describe one should save me 2-3W on power delivery, and push thermal shutdowns to a bit higher current and core temp.

senso, Papusan, seanwee and 1 other person like this.