Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER and RTX 2080 SUPER

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cj_miranda23, Mar 5, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've already gained 25% more performance.

Went from 7.9k timespy graphics to 9.9k

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 2070 is from MSI, so it has 5 phases plus two doubled phases that seem to be for the memory rail, so it should be able to withstand running at 150W versus the stock 115W.
    I'm not going above that at least initially, in part because the 1080 uses an extra power connector, I will need to see if the power connector is powered even when it as the 2070 installed, because MSI might be doing something to only power it up in presence of a 2080.

I will need to take my laptop apart, but I need to use it a bit more, given that its brand new and thermal performance is decent I will refrain from tearing into it right away, or the missus might kill me. :eek:
    I will also inspect what kind of hardware is used to make the rails, its seems to be some sort of DrMOS, and there is indeed what seems to be a 0805 resistor next to them, need to find what chips are being used.

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok I confirmed that the core current shunt can indeed be fully bypassed without clocks locking. My added diodes and inductor pairing does work, BUT I messed up core solder connections and now the card crashes with memory artifacts on OS load. It worked briefly to at least confirm no lockout. Solder damage probably happened from adding caps behind the core (many of the caps behind the core are actually for memory), and heat gun melting core solder with a slight pcb warp. I can probably fix this. Undo bend. Hit perimeter of core with heat gun.

UPDATE:
    OK turns out the issue might have only been liquid metal wicked under the core into the solder. There may be no damage at all.

UPDATE 2:
    Card fixed. It did need a bit of reflow. New mods get me +205 core instead of +190. Almost 21k FS. Should be over 22k tomorrow with current reporting mod.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/46695145

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    senso likes this.
  4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    You mean Time Spy, right? :)

Bummer :( Hope you can fix it.

5. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup my bad

Firestrike graphics went from 21k to 26k

jc_denton likes this.
  6. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For you shunt modders, I emailed Monolithic Power and they actually responded to me with the datasheet for the MP86941 power FET that Clevo RTX boards use. Some info:

Current rating is 30A. The tiny chips burn 5W at 30A. The temp limit is 160C.

The 30A limit seems to correspond exactly to a 120A current limit on the core that I am observing. This would mean that 2070's have a 180A limit, and 2080's a 240A limit. I would think with shunt modding that 2070's would very rarely hit that limit, and 2080's could probably only hit it when raytracing.

So yeah I can raise my current limit, but since I am already getting emergency thermal shutdowns at 160C at max current rating, I probably should not until I get more FETs.

jc_denton, senso and Papusan like this.
  7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those are some weak sauce mosfets. Is clevo fond of cutting costs?

Even my GS75 uses 5 50A NCP 303150 for the core and it a max-q.

8. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In general the clevo 2080 is substantially inferior to the 1080 board in design. There was really no need to go for such a small mosfet, but it's the highest amp FET for 19.5V supplies offered by Monolithic Power. Most of their FETs are for desktops and are only rated for 16V. MP does make the VRM for these cards, so I guess clevo tried to keep it simple by also sticking to their FETs. Your FETs are similar is performance to the old TI 87350d. Idk why your current rating is higher than it. It has the same losses and package size.

9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably has a similar design but with higher tolerances for higher current draws.

10. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At 50A they are dissipating 14Watts, so, with 5 of them at full tilt its 70W of losses, they can do 50A, doesn't mean they can do 50A sustained, NEVER trust the first page of a component datasheet, its the marketing page..