NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X: Discussion, Latest News & Updates.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by J.Dre, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Power consumption, cooling, drivers, ect. There are many reasons to pick the Nvidia, just as there are many reasons to pick AMD.

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    It's really, really hard to recommend AMD for multi-GPU given their snail's pace of driver releases, which means lack of CrossFire profiles for a long time after games come out. They don't have a single new driver in 2015. We're more than 3 months into the year and how many AAA releases have we already had? That being said, for single GPU AMD is fine.

It's a good thing I don't use CrossFire, otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out at the lack of driver support. It was much better a few years ago when AMD stuck with its cadence of monthly WHQL releases. Since they moved away from doing that it seems they release new drivers whenever they feel like it, which is not often.

3. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    He should be commended for keeping an open mind and being willing to change.

Two years ago you'd have to pay me to go AMD, because I too bought into all the FUDGE about AMD. Then I read, read some more, did even more research, started using my brain, filtered out the BS from facts, and changed my mind. Not to mention after getting scammed pardon me, "featured" by nVidia (remember, 970's memory segmentation was a FEATURE), you couldn't pay me to buy another nVidia card.

Obviously this is not to say AMD doesn't have their own issues, because they do, and just today Cat 15.3 beta (Freesync driver) got delayed, again. -_- (yes I know there was a press driver but it got taken down because no Dying Light CF profile amongst other "subtle differences"). Anyway, this is actually a major reason why I won't be going CF.

But yeah, as long as you stick with single GPU, or are willing to wait for AMD to get those CF profiles out, AMD is competitive with nVidia. I kind of see buying nVidia as kind of like buying an early access season pass lol.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The only truly good thing about AMD products (as of late) are their prices. Many more benefits playing for team green, especially long term.

If you're cheap, buy AMD. May love it, may hate it. Don't know until you try.

5. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jayztwocents said in reply to a comment on one of his videos that we wouldn't like the power consumption numbers for the 390X. That might be the cost for getting Titan X-level performance for hundreds less.

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Going off the reference 290x that's an easy comment to make. I don't think anyone actually knows at this point. My fingers are crossed that AMD can buck the trend. I've heard chatter that the 390x may not actually run that hot.
    The temp data on the Titan X shows its not exactly an ice cube either.

7. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, it will run cool and quiet as it will probably be water-cooled, but it will still draw a lot of power (relatively speaking of course).

8. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    The Titan X also draws "a lot" of power. It's really a 275W card, since TechPowerUp found if you increased the power and temp limits to the max you get a free boost even if you keep it at stock.

[​IMG]

And if you look through the actual review you'll see the reference blower is pretty much at its limits already, which is why nVidia limited both power and temp.

As for J's $0.02 not liking the power consumption numbers, well that's pure speculation on his part. Also if the 390X matches Titan X in performance, who gives a crap about power consumption. If it's 50W more at stock, and assuming electricity is $0.3 per kWh, even if you ran the thing 24/7 that amounts to an extra $131.4 on your electricity bill.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Exactly, on desktop nobody really cares about a little extra power consumption if the performance is there

10. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While generally speaking, yes, no one cares, but its still something that you'd want to know (when PSU shopping if nothing else).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.