NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X: Discussion, Latest News & Updates.

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by J.Dre, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The new Titan X is coming out around March 17th, according to NVIDIA's CEO. The rumored price is $1349. It will definitely be at least $999. Do you think it's worth it over 980 SLI? There is a rumor going around that it will have 3072 (Maxwell) CUDA cores on GM200. What sort of performance do you think this card will bring to the single GPU market?

Updated: 3/21/2015 (Mar. 21st, 2015).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X - NVIDIA.com

AnandTech | The NVIDIA GTX Titan X - Review

Let the discussion begin!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about 50 percent increase in performance over 980gtx I'm buying one going to use it with my 17

3. J.Dre

Reputations:
    That's about what I expect as well. Makes sense considering the amount of cores, but I was thinking it could be more than 50% considering the other specs it has.

If you consider this is GM200 and the 980 is GM204, and the fact that the Titan X has 3072 cores (unconfirmed), then it should be at least 50%, if not more. But if it doesn't perform better than or similar to 980 SLI, then I'm not sure if it's worth it (price : performance).

A lot of us were expecting the 980 to full pledged GM200, which would give it more performance over the 780Ti.

4. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nope. Honestly, even a single GTX 980 is overkill performance for just about any gaming resolution.

Even if you were go to with 4K gaming, a single GTX 980 is more than "good enough" performance for just about any game, assuming you turn down some detail options.

The only reason to go with 2x GTX 980 in SLI, or a GTX Titan Z, is if you want to max out detail levels at 4K gaming in every possible game you play. And even then, maxing out details won't give you any realistically noticeable difference in image quality. At that point, you're really just paying for the bragging rights and self-satisfaction of knowing you can run anything on max details. To me, that impractical "satisfacation" isn't worth the money over a GTX 980.

Also, there are rumors that there will be a GTX 980Ti at some point. That will most likely be the sweet spot whenever nVidia releases a "refresh" of their GTX 980 level of part.

5. J.Dre

Reputations:
    I'm not waiting for the 980Ti. Hasn't even been any leaks of one, yet. I'm living without a PC right now, so I don't want to wait more than a couple weeks. Looking at probably 2-3 months before launch, if there will even be one.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea I would definitely go for the single card. UE4 engine won't even support SLI.

7. J.Dre

Reputations:
    That's true.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. J.Dre

Reputations:
    First benchmarks released.

9. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @J.Dre I highly recmmond you wait for the 3xx series from AMD. I have a hunch that the 390X will actually be able to compete with the Titan X.

10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Definitely been considering it. Despite not having a PC at home, I manage with school computers. Might be worth waiting a bit... Even though I hate it.

Titan Z performance in a single Titan X is pretty good, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.