nVIDIA GeForce Drivers v411.63 WHQL Findings & Fixes

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Papusan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    This isn't an driver update for compatibility with an operating system and other software or Intel's graphics driver. As you see... Intel pushed microcode for older chips. They could give damn and done it Nvidias way.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Circling the drain maybe. Their GPUs were failing left and right and Fermi marked the end of AMD winning at anything for roughly a decade. I know because I was a victim of their incompetence. After dealing with 8 or 9 consecutive defective AMD products under different brand names it seemed pretty clear they were circling the drain. After jumping ship to the greener side of the fence there have been no regrets.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying. NVIDIA sucks, too. Just not as bad as AMD.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Again, you're making a false equivalence. 1) Microcode updates are released to fix serious flaws in hardware that could potentially have devastating effects on business customers, which make up the majority of Intel's well, business. If such a flaw existed within a GPU, then it would surely receive the same treatment. 2) Businesses update their IT infrastructures far less frequently than end users/enthusiasts, so it makes sense for Intel to continue to support legacy hardware. Although it is less true today, at the time Fermi was released, NVIDIA's primary customers were end users and enthusiasts who change their hardware with far more regularity.

Anyway, back to the top of these drivers. These drivers are a no-go. Every time I plug in my Xbox controller, the gamma of my displays revert back to default, as if something gets triggered to ignore what I set. Reinstalled version 398.98, and all is well again.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    They suck for benching as well. Less stable and lower scores. Even seems to somewhat impair CPU performance. I went back to 388.31. That one seems to be the best for my purposes.

Vasudev, Papusan and Ultra Male like this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How could a GPU Driver impair CPU Performance?

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    By changing something that adversely affects the CPU. @Papusan found the same to be true.

It shouldn't, but we can ask the same question about why does Windoze OS X impair CPU performance. The short answer is because it sucks, and the people that made it suck at their jobs.

Ultra Male and Papusan like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The HD 4670 was a damn good mid-range card. We need the Radeon of 2008 to come back swinging with Navi.. I'd love to have a card that could put up 1080 numbers with less TDP..

saturnotaku, Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, everything needs supervision of the CPU.
    Think of it this way, before displaying anything on screen you ask cpu to allocate memory,data and all other stuff you need before hand or even dynamic allocation is possible if you want to keep everything as constrained as possible. Then once your requirements are met, you call the graphics API to draw, put the data back/forth in buffers, submit workload as batches and get the results to see onscreen. If along the lines, your PC gets out of memory the OS must put non essential drivers/apps on page file and go back to allocating memory and follow the control flow of Graphics API causing little overheads here and there.
    I hope you get the gist of it. GPU,SSD and other peripherals are simply slaves of CPU.

saturnotaku, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Radeon Mobility 5870 and 6750 were fantastic cards. Maybe not as fast as their NVIDIA counterparts, but they had much better thermal performance, at least in my experience.

That weird gamma issue I mentioned in my previous post was not a result of the GeForce drivers but of NOD32 of all things. Upon rebooting my machine after the latest build of that installed, the problem hasn't cropped up again.

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very different from what I saw. The G73Jh had beefy cooling but a lot of 5870M cards in that system still ran at close to 100C before repasting.