nVIDIA GeForce Drivers v361.91 Findings & Fixes

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why don't you dump 10? G2a.com has 20 dollar Windows 7 licenses... I can't even get 10 to connect to my WiFi......... And I'm not wasting my TMo data on an operating system I can't stand and won't be using again until I get my Quantum Break keys in April.

Don't try to tell me your system isn't compatible because that's a lie. The kernel between 10 and 7 can share all drivers except for those that touch the EC... Last I checked Compal doesn't rely on EC, that's a Clevo issue...

Pardon my indignation... But even as a moderator... 10 is trash and you get what you pay for...

However... These drivers aren't worth anything and it seems to me that you're always making work for drivers that you won't use anyway...

Oh yeah.. Benches? Average 5% loss... It goes up to 12% if I take out MHO benchmark since it doesn't full screen. Auto fail.

2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Win7 needs to have CSM else it won't boot with UEFI, and with Maxwell + AW combo need pure UEFI, So no way other than 8.1.1 or 10
    This is an interesting post, – however there are some important information missing. First, Windows 7 x64 is UNABLE to boot at more recent UEFI systems which use GOP video protocol. That's the reason why user Zhi4neng mentioned that his system even "not start". Also, this is the reason why it's so hard to install Windows 7 x64 at any EFI based Mac computer, – they all use GOP protocol instead of old VGA or UGA.

Therefore, if you want to install Windows 7 x64 at any recent UEFI computer, you have to set the video output protocol to "LEGACY VGA". It is NOT necessary to enable the whole CSM!!! You have only to set video mode properly to EFI & "legacy vbios VGA" (or something similar). Note, this option lacks at several EFI based systems, – it is confirmed for some Asus EFI boards.

Short, in summary, there are three start-up variants:

–> no EFI boot, full legacy BIOS CSM mode

–> EFI boot, with legacy vbios mode (for Windows 7 x64 EFI boot needed)

–> EFI boot, with GOP (Windows 8, newer Linux distros)

And at last, you have to disable Secure Boot functionality at any never board to boot Windows 7 x64 in EFI mode.

It would be easy for MS to add GOP support to Windows 7 x64 in a future service pack. Come on Microsoft, stand to the BEST Windows EVER!!!

src
    No such option with this locked BIOS, dead end with 7.

Papusan and thegh0sts like this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe with an Alienware. I've got 7 dual booting with 10 using legacy CSM in combo with UEFI and windows 7 and 10 both are using EFI... For some reason Windows 7 needs the CSM even though it is a UEFI install... I had to turn off UEFI video support but the rest is pure EFI. Trust me, I went through a mess getting it to work... Especially since my machine doesn't force secure boot in EFI mode.

Okay so it was a lot of work but it works so much better with 7 so it was worth the work... Plus I get to see the custom boot logo again.

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Back in 2015 when people tested this combination, It fails to boot if used with CSM unfortunately and no video options in the AW17, I don't have any clue about the Unlocked svl7 sBIOS on the M17x R4 machines...

I just love Win7, using since the day of it's inception, it never held anything back. A true masterpiece from M$ !!

Ethrem likes this.
  5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    still wondering if it breaks at 120hz with win 10 :p

6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It doesn't. Sorry, I have the flu but the driver works fine on Windows 10...... Other than the 720p screen issue... That's irritating. It won't full screen any game unless it's set to 1080p. I would assume the issue would be the same if I had a 1440p display.

7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    hmmm....odd.

8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm familiar with AW issues... I got suckered into an AW M17xR1 after all. The only real advantage to running 7 in EFI is slightly faster boot... Just run it in CSM?

9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    It will run in EFI + CSM with pre 980M chips I guess, but the maxwell + the same setting rekts the system display output just because of the broken BIOS (InsydeH2o) support for maxwell with VGA support option like the Clevo or the old m15x which is non UEFI machine... Regarding your issue is your Win10 is on R1 or TH2 does it replicate the same on TH1 also ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe I should actually try my M17xR1... I was just giving suggestions to run machines that don't have support... My R1 came with Vista but ran both 7 and 8 without any BIOS mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.