nVIDIA GeForce Driver v388.13 Findings & Fixes

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Agreed... MSI AB is definitely better than Shadowplay, IMHO. I totally despise GFE crapware and don't want it installed on anything. Mirillis Action! is also really good for capture. I primarily use EVGA Precision X OC for my systems. I prefer it, plus it offers me slightly better features for my EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 than MSI AB does.

saturnotaku, Papusan and MahmoudDewy like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How's the performance? Last time I used Afterburner to record while playing PlanetSide 2, it dropped my FPS by over 50% and introduced tons of micrstutter. That's why I don't use it anymore. ShadowPlay on the other hand has a negligible impact, less than 5%. I'm still using old GeForce Experience v2.11.4.0 with the latest drivers.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I recorded 4K gameplay using shadowplay yesterday. Didn't seem to affect gameplay at all. Worked great, game was still snappy and fluid.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know about ShadowPlay, but I was asking about Afterburner.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Uses the same CUDA encoder/decoder as ShadowPlay w/o any bloatware and can be tweaked further for max quality.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    100% true. I think many people prefer point and click gaming. Some just like easy and some do not know enough to do more than that. I find it extremely irritating to have any part of GFE fecesware installed on my systems. It is too much like a virus to allow it to be resident.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My quick record button stopped functioning after install. I did a double uninstall using the DDU and its working again. Also I was getting bright sprites on the edges of everything until I did the double uninstall. I am running Win 10 Fall Creators.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Were you also experiencing those lines as in the screenshot i posted on the previous page? I have already uninstalled the drivers two times and rolled back to 380.00 using DDU but ain't nothing working with nvidia :cool:

On a side note i have tried to record some footage of GTA IV using MSI AB and for some reason i was getting half the fps (with a lower GPU usage) recording with NVENC encoder on full frame settings and output .mkv since .avi isn't supported

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's an odd bug. If you change any settings of NVENC on the fly the resulting video simply shows a blackscreen. You need to close MSI AB and re-launch for settings to take affect.

10. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No blackscreen there, MSI AB itself told me that .avi wasn't supported with the current NVENC settings, so the video was just fine but my ingame fps dropped to half when i started recording. I'll try again later with another game and see if anything changes.

Vasudev likes this.