Nvidia G-Sync hack - it works on every display supporting DisplayPort 1.2

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Marecki_clf, Jan 28, 2015.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    But there's still issue of input lag with Vsync and occasional dips below 60 will cause some stuttering and/or drop to 30FPS. I do think it's ridiculous that Nvidia is hoarding this tech though.

Georgel likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What does this mean? I specifically chose the gsync 4k since it makes more sense than a gsync 1080 display that will almost always be 60+ anyway. Under what conditions would I get a black screen?

Georgel likes this.
  3. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember reading a lot of users having the problem that framerate under 40 fps would result in a black screen when Gsync is active for Auo display.

Try maxing up all settings in AC syndicate, it should push it to it's limit and if it happens, that is the problem. If it doesn't happen, I might have misunderstood :D

Porter likes this.
  4. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh ok. If my FPS was dipping that low I would lower the settings anyway so it shouldn't be an issue for me. Gsync doesn't help with that low of an FPS anyway, it's got to be 40+ for me.

I did try raising resolution to get FPS to drop and even limiting the FPS to 30 but never saw a black screen. Maybe it was an old issue that was resolved? I'll keep an eye out for it.

5. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's great to hear that it was solved :D!

I think I would probably too lower settings to have more fps, as for that low fps, I think that Gsync loses it's purpose.

If my understanding was correct, the refresh rate of the screen itself cannot be lower than 40 Hz because of the materials used, and when it dropped below, it tried to raise to 80Hz refresh rate, which caused black screen because of limited bandwidth because of 4K screen resolution.

I was hoping they would solve it :cool:

6. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would never change the refresh rate below 60, that seems like an odd thing to do. I know it doesn't overclock at all. Even when running a game at 30 FPS the screen still refreshes at 60. Not sure what that was all about then. Sounds like maybe some odd firmware issue, not sure.

7. invertedsilence

invertedsilence Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    did anyone ever update this?

8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    It doesn't and never will work. It only ever made a difference on the LP173WF4-SPD1 and LP173WF4-SPF1 panels in ASUS/MSI/Clevo dGPU-only notebooks before they officially launched gsync. And after it was officially launched, you needed Gsync cards as well as the screens and a BIOS key matching your screen, and then any driver with gsync support would basically enable it as an option.

I cleared all the specs for example and it wouldn't work on my system because my screen wasn't one of the two mentioned ones. The guy didn't expect that it was locked to those already-approved screens in the driver so a lot of people with newer notebooks tried it and figured it was universal.

invertedsilence likes this.
  9. invertedsilence

invertedsilence Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah I asked because it did work for me back then, because I happen to have one of those supported panels. But thank you for the info none the less...

10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you tried hacking together the old driver core with newer drivers it'll probably break.