Nvidia G-Sync hack - it works on every display supporting DisplayPort 1.2

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Marecki_clf, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Marecki_clf

Marecki_clf Homo laptopicus

Reputations:
    Apparently G-Sync works without the G-Sync module, even in laptops supporting eDP. Have a look here:

Truth about the G-sync Marketing Module (NVIDIA using VESA Adaptive Sync Technology – Freesync)

Nvidia G-sync Hack (working on every monitor ?) DP1.2 and EDP | GAMENAB

If it's true, this is very bad for Nvidia, on top of recent GTX970 memory allocation issues.

EDIT:
    So far there is just one person, who claims it worked (not including the author himself).
    There is no hard evidence that this hack works.

Nothing to see here, keep on walking ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    TBoneSan likes this.
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    LOOOL! Makes one wonder what exactly is that G-sync chip doing? It says it works with eDP, so that means laptop LCD's then? I'll have to give it a whirl!

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    It works in laptops because they have eDP panels supporting variable VBLANK. The requisite technology for variable refresh rates has existed on mobile devices for years, mainly as a power-saving measure. In fact, AMD's first demo of FreeSync was on an off-the-shelf laptop. Desktop monitors, however, need the G-Sync module because they have a less direct interface between GPU and LCD than laptops and no scaler exists which supports variable refresh.

Basically, this means native G-Sync on laptops is much closer than we thought. Or it's already here and Nvidia has simply been artificially limiting laptops users for over a year. :rolleyes:

LordKarango likes this.
  4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I gave it a try. It does not detect gSync for me. It's possible that it only works in single GPU eDP configs, or that my panel does not support it, or that it needs 900M + eDP at this moment.

5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Seems like many posters can get it to work but apparently it's going to happen.
    I'd be laughing if this works on any of my screens. I'll be trying this ASAP.
    I'm definitely going to be following this.

Can someone make sure they keep a copy incase it gets pulled :D

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Don't worry, TBoneSan. I made sure I got everything on that site archived. :D

TBoneSan likes this.
  7. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Champion!

I did a search from my phone, just found this reddit link with one of the first poster's claiming to be from PCPer calling them out somewhat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2tv4s9/nvidia_gsync_hack/

Not sure how much stock I put in it yet. Need to have a better look at things once I'm in front of a computer.

UPDATE:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1538208/nvidia-g-sync-free-on-dp-1-2-monitors

It's Malventano.. So there's some weight to that claim

You can read my post here.. So I don't have to update 2 threads.. Hope yet..?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...780m-880m-and-980m-mobile-gpus.767644/page-13

catix and octiceps like this.
  8. Vitor711

Vitor711 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, wonder if my Sager supports this (I'll try once I get it back from the RMA next Monday). Would be awesome if so.

Then again, I'm one of those weird people who locks a game to 40FPS instead of 30FPS and notices no added stutter. It looks totally smoother to me.

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You have Optimus, it won't work. It'll work on a DP 1.2 screen most likely though, if you had one external somewhere. Not sure if Clevo ran external displays through the iGPU or not. If it does it won't work, unfortunately.

10. Vitor711

Vitor711 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I have a Benq GW2750 that I usually hook my laptop to. Not sure if that's D.P 1.2 though.

P.S. Why does everyone have a massive amount of Reputation/Trophy Points/Likes. I thought I was doing OK in the old system - turns out I suck.