Nvidia driver crash only when using internal gpu, not AGA gpu.

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by kakashisensei, Feb 17, 2019.

1. kakashisensei

kakashisensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am having an issue with nvidia driver crashes. This only happens when using the internal gpu (970m on AW15 R1). It does not happen when I am using the AGA gpu (980 ti).

The crashes occur when using most 3d applications in windowed mode. This could be games, cad or 3d rendering software. The crashes don't happen right away, but within a few minutes of using the program. It varies. The type of crash is dependent on the nvidia driver version.

If the driver version is 4xx or newer, the driver will stop responding and driver service is restarted as reported by windows event viewer. All 3D applications using the gpu stall for a second and automatically terminate. There is a screen flicker when the driver service restarts.

If the driver version is 398.82 to 399.x, then I get a bluescreen usually about nvidia driver error.

If the driver is 398.36 or earlier, then it works perfectly fine and there are no issues.

I have looked at the release notes of the drivers and the only thing I see worth note is this mentioned in all driver releases from 397.64 to 399.24.
    "Added new libraries (nvdlist.dll and nvdlistx.dll) to support Optimus and MSHybrid notebooks."

I am using Win10 x64 and always use DDU to uninstall drivers. I also have removed physx, 3dvision, gf experience to rule those out. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nuke all nvidia drivers using DDU. Also, update Intel GPU drivers to latest available from Intel site. Now, download dell's nvidia driver and install it. Shutdown the PC and connect AGA and install the latest 4xx drivers on top of existing nvidia driver. Now, 980Ti will use 4xx version while disconnecting AGA, internal GPU will use dell driver and reduce glitches. @judal57 tested this method.

judal57 likes this.
  3. kakashisensei

Reputations:
    I will try that.

So this is a known issue with newer drivers and the internal gpu?

4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Well that's just an assumption though. Even we don't know if its known issue or not? There are only few cases.

5. kakashisensei

Reputations:
    After installing the 4xx driver with the AGA connected and switching over back to the 970m, the 970m will always load with the newer 4xx driver. Just cannot get the 970m to load with the dell installed nvidia driver after installing newer driver with the AGA gpu. Don't know what I am doing wrong. I am following the process exactly. I found @judal57 discussion in the AGA thread and used the same drivers as he posted on the youtube video, but just cant get it to work in my setup. Maybe because my AGA gpu is same generation as 970m, while Judyal's AGA gpu is pascal.

6. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    have you tried with DDU ?? and dont forget to disable the windows auto update for drivers

7. kakashisensei

Reputations:
    Ya I always use DDU in safe mode to remove nvidia drivers. I have tried installing drivers through the package installer in normal windows, safe mode windows, and also tried installing drivers via inf through device manager. But none of those methods work. Always overrides the older driver with the newer driver on the 970m.

I do have windows auto update drivers disabled, but it still always installs 389.12 automatically during the next normal windows session when there is no driver installed. So what I tried also doing is DDU remove drivers in safe mode, and then immediately install dell nvidia driver for the installer pkg for the 970m within same safe mode session. Then I turn off system, plug in AGA, boot straight into safe mode and install nvidia 4xx driver pkg for 980 ti. But when I boot back with 970m, its running on 4xx.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Then I think you have to install 4xx drivers on AGA 980Ti and disconnect and use manual updating of drivers through device manager using INF for internal dGPU. Have you tried installing 391.35 on internal dGPU and AGA?

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I claimed this before, but Nvidia installs no matter what only one set of control DLL's and settings next to its driver suite. So you arent really installing 2 sets of drivers. You might see multiple file versions loaded into the Windows device manager, but those only load in the separated installed files that arent located in the usual driver folders but directly into system32 etc. Those arent dynamically loaded in based on which Nvidia GPU you are using. So basicall yin the end you just create a frankenstein driver.

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Driver infs were always stored in C:\Windows\system32\drivers or drvstore folders.
    You mean a ghost? DDU takes care of the ghost and so does Ghostbuster and Rapr/Driver store explorer. Those two tools are dangerous in the wrong hands that's why I didn't suggest the OP to use those tools.