1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Nvidia driver 301.42 WHQL released on 22May

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Chaos92, May 23, 2012.

1. Phatpat0420

Phatpat0420 Newbie

Reputations:
    i have the same computer but i dont want to try to install the 310.90 without a properly modded inf file, anyone mod one yet or can point me somewhere that has one?

2. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let the 310.90 go and install the 314.07 drivers with my modded file attached below.

View attachment nvidia_314.07_M17x_mod_inf_kat.zip

Follow these steps:
    • First of all uninstall your current nVIDIA display drivers.
    • Reboot in Safe Mode (repeatedly press the F8 key after the BIOS prompt and choose Safe Mode)
    • Run your favorite registry cleaner (I personally use CCleaner), backup your registry first just in case and choose to clean your registry to remove any remnants of the old driver (you might need to run it a couple of times until there's nothing to remove).
    • Reboot one more time.
    • Download the 314.07 nVIDIA drivers to your Desktop
    • Double click and let them extract the files in the default directory (C:\NVIDIA)
    • Press Cancel when it starts checking for hardware compatibility
    • Download my attached archive and extract the file
    • Cut/copy it and paste in "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.07\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver"
    • And replace original file
    • Go back to the "International" folder and run setup.exe
    • Continue performing normal installation steps, choosing Custom(Advanced)>Next>and check Perform a clean installation>Next and at the windows prompt choose Install...anyway
    • Reboot when prompted and voila
    • Don't forget to reenable SLi in nVIDIA Control Panel and reboot your system
    • Enjoy!

Note for M17x (R1) users:
    -Don't forget to turn off PCIe Gen2 in BIOS under Advanced > Graphic Settings.

3. gazmatic

gazmatic Newbie

Reputations:

hey... because I am currently in Cuba and I dont have access to sendspace... can you upload your attached file to a more accesible place or better yet make it a direct download?

my M17x R1 is having so much trouble and all I want to do is update the drivers

please. thanks

4. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello, Gazmatic, see my post above yours.
    The file is hosted on NBR server so you shouldn't have a problem downloading it.

5. gazmatic

gazmatic Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks it worked

6. brusann

brusann Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried all of your steps, to the best of my ability on my Alienware m17x R1 with nvidia gtx 260m's and a nvidia gforce 9400, running windows vista 64 bit. The message that i get from the NVIDIA Installer is as follows:
    "The NVIDIA Graphics Driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. The graphics driver could not find compatible hardware."

Any help or insight you could provide into the matter would be greatly appreciated. I was running version 296.10 of the drivers before uninstalling them. If I can't figure it out I guess I can always do a system restore, but I would prefer to get the new drivers working! Thanks for any help in advance.

7. Lod

Lod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Attach me ur old .INF file or give me your GPU Hardware IDs..
    example : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E32&SUBSYS_304F17AA
    Your Current OS : Win7 or Win8 x32 / Win7 or Win8 x64

i will help to modified driver for you :)

8. bajasu520

bajasu520 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Katalin; Lod

My IDs : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060F&SUBSYS_02A11028
    Current OS : Win 7 64bit

*** I was success more times with .inf in past with exp: 301.42, 314.07.... but now I set up new Win and try to install GPU driver but I only get error "The graphics driver could not find compatible hardware" anyway

- I only success with "nVidia_Geforce-GTX-280M_A03_R279499" from DELL but you know it's very old driver
    - I tried to flash my GTX280M to 285 success but still can not install other Nvidia driver with .INF modded

*** update : With official new driver just like 314.07...why I can not see file "nvdm.inf" so no confirm to replace when I copy your .INF ???