Nvidia 9800 GX2!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by chesieofdarock, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainer

brainer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    WIlsonywn there are already 256bit cards, the Geforce 7 offers very nice cards such as the 7950GTX on SLI which i'm very satesfied with, also the 8800m for lappies are out, and for the guys that saidreally great, the 8800 cards are great, didnt get my picture at all, i know these cards are long lasting and can kill anygame easily for a long while, but there are freaks outhere, that cant sleep without knowing they have the best card, so many of the people are gonna go get that card even if they had 8800 on 3 SLI. thats what i meant, isnt that a rip of money ? xD

2. Inkjammer

Inkjammer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem with running these cards in quad SLI is that they're going to take 1200+ watt power supplies, which cost as much as the cards themselves! Still, one GX2 (technically two cards) being 30% faster than an 8800 GTX Ultra isn't too shabby. Considering most people have 8800 GTX, it's technically up to 40% faster than the average leading edge card that most people actually have.

I've got two 8800 GTX ACS3 OC cards from eVGA, and the Ultras are still faster. I consider my cards blazing fast, so a 30% jump over an Ultra is fairly good.

3. ShortGreenGoat

ShortGreenGoat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sounds nice but ive found a problem, even some of the most recent cases only have 6-7 pci slots in the back, and even if you find one with 8 (for quad sli), you're going to need a new mobo to deal with it and you wouldn't be able to have any other pci cards like a RAID controller or sound card and people who can afford quad sli may not want to give up a fast RAID 1/5 HD setup and good sound output for the sake of quad sli which will be outdated pretty fast when the release the 9800 Ultra with their new chip (nvidia claim its something like a 3x speed increase over the 8800 currently)

4. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    lol. ok.

first- pci slots are not for graphics cards. pci EXPRESS x16/ x32 are for your graphics cards. most motherboards and cases only allow one or two pci express slots.

second- from what i read it seems like 2 of these cards is considered quad sli because each card has two gpu chips. that means two connections- two pci express slots.

5. ShortGreenGoat

ShortGreenGoat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i know about pci/pci-e but most 8800 take 2 of the slots in the back (one for ports, rest for fans) which effectivley blocks you from adding a pci card in that slot.

and oh right i thought that by quad sli they meant 4 of these, though if 2 are considered as quad then the concerns about this being 2 very cheap 8800 cards crammed into one could cause some bottlenecking (each card only being 128bit for eg)

6. Concepticle

Concepticle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Stop being ridiculous guys. Let's cut the infantile "WTF NVIDIA RELEASE CRYSIS MAXING CARDS ASAP RETARDS" comments and stick to facts.

1) 1 8800 GTX plays Crysis on all high, 1680x1050 fluidly, even higher with people using tweaks and overclocks.
    2) The 9800GX2 is reportedly 30% FASTER than the 8800 GTX, if 1 8800GTX can run Crysis at mostly high, an added 30% of power will SURELY improve the experience by a noticable margin.
    3) A Business standpoint - Nvidia is a corporation run by intelligent executives, not retarded fanboys. With the limited competition from ATI, there is absolutely no reason at all to waste money on development and reduce revenue to appease fanboys who can't wank their e-*****es to running everything no max. The reality is that corporations are responsible to their SHAREHOLDERS FIRST, and customers SECOND. Nvidia is running their business smoothly in my eyes.

If you're going to bash Nvidia for not releasing some ridiculous card that is miraculously futureproof for the next ten years, at least append some intelligent justifications for it.

7. ScifiMike12

ScifiMike12 Drinking the good stuff

Reputations:
  8. nbaumann

nbaumann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not a rip off as long as there are people who buy them.

9. wilsonywx

wilsonywx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am talking about mainstream cards like the 7600 gt and the 8600 gt. They only have 128 bit internal bus.

Actually there is reason to "waste" money on development. Just because there's limited competitive today doesn't mean that nvidia will stop R&D of new architectures and next gen cards. It's just that they don't release the info to the public until necessary.

10. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    People just wanted to see the 9800 to be 2 times as strong as the 8800 because the 8800 was 2 times as strongas the 7900.

That's his point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.