nVidia 2015 mobile speculation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    With maxwell's "low TDP" being really "high TDP but voltage adjustments to keep it overall-y low", you can't go above design spec in such a low TDP environment. Hell, even modified vBIOSes may have problems for the 990M if it's true, and I 20000% guarantee you it'll never be in a SLI notebook... not unless we get 400W-450W bricks the same size as our current 330W bricks.

triturbo likes this.
  2. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you want to overclock it you'll need one of these and a 1.21GW PSU.
    [​IMG]

:D

TomJGX, Ashtrix, Mr Najsman and 3 others like this.
  3. Player2

Player2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bet you if look back at the Chinese website the information is coming from you will see post from one of the guys going haha April fools.

4. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Exactly. Once I modded fixed nVidia's broken, throttle-tastic vbios, I've never seen my 970s go below 165W TDP even during quiet scenes. Of course to be fair that's because I forced voltage to be a constant 1.26V when under load. But what's scary is that during intense scenes in BF4, with the unlocked vbios both of my overclocked 970s can draw almost 250W! Holy :eek:

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    triturbo likes this.
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    That's not being "fair", that's "how cards are supposed to work". It's all well and good if their tricks WORKED and people didn't need to FIX them. If their minimum voltage was something like 1.15v and max was 1.25 or something, that'd be different; it's far less likely to crash in that case. But the SLI issues are a whole other ball game. I'm quite happy my kepler works at differing voltages in SLI if I tell them. Seems my slave card needs more voltage than my primary, so I set that much higher and I get some nice stability, and my main card keeps a bit cooler. Can't do that with Maxwell unless a modded vBIOS like yours is installed, which is terrible.

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    That would be insane! What's the point of having such powerful chip if it's crippled to 5MHz core (exagaration)? Is this R9-M295X round two with even more ridiculous doses of insanity? I was thinking and actually expecting full GM204 chip ever since the 980m release. Anyway, if they can pull that one off (the die size suggest it's still on 28nm), having more than 5MHz core clock (means something in-line with the desktop counterpart, not exactly 5MHz) and be coolable with a single (normally sized) fan - WOW, just WOW! Overclocking it would be a whole different story, as most of us know, how Maxwell's efficiency actually works. It would be interesting to see.

7. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Trust me you would not want to overclock such a hypothetical 990M. What are the power pins on the MXM connector rated for anyway? I mean do you really want to risk literally melting the MXM slot or having it burst into flames?

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    10A x 19V = 190W You'll need quite the cooling for it though.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not if they use Intel BGA trash...

TomJGX likes this.
  10. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Considering Hasee's gaming line is a Clevo reseller, have we heard anything from Clevo yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.