nVidia 2015 mobile speculation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol we have had a smartphone section for a good while now.

TomJGX and jaybee83 like this.
  2. SR13

SR13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So given the 980 release, info on engineering samples of Pascal being tested in India and HBM2 being sourced from Hynix and Samsung for Q1 full-rate production, I think a Q1 2016 (March) announcement and early Q2 (Mid-April) availability of Pascal looks pretty good.

I agree that next gen will have the same card for mobile and desktop I just hope they can release an updated 970/980 for desktop and mobile at the same time, although if they can I am sure they will. The PR value of that alone would be worth them making the effort.

3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    im not convinced yet that ONE marketing stunt of a desktop gpu in a laptop is already enough to change out the whole future line of gpus... i mean, seriously? u guys pretend like the whole computer market today is made for and of enthusiast products :D well, thats not the case! ultrabooks, thin and light, soldered components, thats the new trend! thats what hipster joe buys and wants, and thats what makes up the lion´s share of the total market volume! so if you ask me: nope, not gonna happen @ALL desktop gpus in laptops. its gonna be a titan thing, for the nonplusultra devices, whereas the rest is just gonna be the same as before ;)

Kommando, Robbo99999 and ajc9988 like this.
  4. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Heh that actually makes a lotta sense. Why would anyone want to buy this "980", when you could easily overclock your 980M to around the same performance? If it's an argument about TDP, well apparently the "980" requires external watercooling to run full tilt, so there's probably ZERO overclocking headroom left.

Suddenly makes sense why nVidia wanted to block mobile overclocking -- force people to "upgrade" for more performance. I'm glad we made as much noise as we did and made them cave in.

ajc9988 and jaybee83 like this.
  5. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Completely agree - although popular among NBR members, the target market for this kind of enthusiast laptop is still a rather small niche.

Whenever Internet bandwidth/latency finally catches up, I imagine most people will be using relatively weak tablets for gaming and demanding applications, with the heavy lifting offloaded to remote servers.

In the meantime, however, with growing popularity of demanding games and more people streaming and editing their own video content, hopefully there will be greater demand for laptops that can handle these kinds of tasks.

6. PrimeTimeAction

PrimeTimeAction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only in this thread you will find:

"Its a shame that all the attention is being payed to light laptops and nothing being done for enthusiast level laptops. We are happy with our big bulky machines as long as it stays portable and deliver performance."

Then comes Asus watrecooled laptop and comments changed to

"This laptop is useless because its too big and difficult to carry around"

Also, in the begining

"Nvidia is not doing anything for laptop enthusiast who wants performance. 990M is a Unicron card and is a product of Cloudfire's imagination. There is no way you can put a desktop 980 in a laptop. the world would implode"

Then comes the GTX980 and then

"This card is useless because my super-clocked, turbo charged, gold plated 980m can come "close" to its stock."

Come on guys, cant we just pause complaining and appreciate that fact something is being done for us.
    Nvidia (and OEM offering GTX980) could have easily waited till pascal without doing anything.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    TomJGX, hmscott, hfm and 3 others like this.
  7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    haha, loving it! :D youre totally right, but keep in mind that those points come from different people with different mindsets ;)

also, discussing potential specs of upcoming gpus and in the end deciding to actually upgrade to them are also two very different things ;)

my take on this:

- definitely too many thin and light laptops
    - BGA crap ruining most of the market for enthusiasts
    - that watercooled laptop IS useless indeed! if u want MOAR POWAH, go for P870DM or P775DM (full performance, no dock required)
    - nvidia is indeed NOT doing anything for laptop enthusiasts, but rather everything for their own pockets :p why do u think they tried to block mobile overclocking and also installed a smaller amount of power phases on the 980M compared with earlier mobile flagships? which brings me to the last point:
    - in order to artificially cripple the 980M and promote the 980 ;) even with the restricted power feed, but luckily with unlocked vBIOS and overclocking, one is indeed able to even BEAT a full-fledged 200W TDP 980 with a "lowly" 980M

so yeah, 980 is great! but not with watercooling (might get a desktop instead with that "mobility") and not if youre already sporting a 980M. no contradictions there, if u ask me :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The Notebook-worlds "word of the year 2015"! :D

TomJGX, D2 Ultima and jaybee83 like this.
  9. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Nah I like jokebook and junkbook better

D2 Ultima and jaybee83 like this.
  10. PrimeTimeAction

PrimeTimeAction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can totally understand what you are saying. But all i am saying that we should at least appreciate that some innovation is being done. The end result may not be great but it can improve. Dislike the product, not the concept. I know that Asus watercooled laptop is not of much use (apart for somebody with some specif needs), but at least its a start. Maybe it will lead the way to a self contained watercolled laptop some day.

Same with this GTX980. Haven't we all dreamnt that day that when laptop flagships will equal the performance of desktop flagship?
    It may not be perfect but its a step in the right direction. Comparing OCed 980m to stock GTX980 is not fair.

And yes I completely agree that Nvidia is cash grabbing company and their intentions are selfish. I hate them for all this BGA and clock-block shenanigans. Not only that I hate them even more for their other monopolistic behavior. But I also don’t understand that why people give a free pass to OEMs. I think they are equally responsible. In the end Nvidia is a supplier and OEMs are their customer. Customer has the power to dictate supplier. For reference look at desktop cards. Nvidia puts a lot more efforts in these because their customers are us (consumers). They don’t have to worry about compatibility with other OEMs.

But yea this is just my opinion ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.