nVidia 2015 mobile speculation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    W00t w00000000t! :spinny:

which is already rumored to exist in the MSI GT80, since Prema confirmed that the full-fledged non-MXM card does not have SLI capability :)

TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  2. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    So they are going with the silly variable TDP thing? If there's a large difference in performance between all these 980's then I think it's a bit misleading to the consumer unless benchmarks and specifications are explicitly made clear in all the OEMs marketing.

Also, looks like my naming predictions were half right. I thought they'd call it a 1080M because they wouldn't want to use the 990M nomenclature. I was right about the last part but way off the charts about the former bit!

I'll be the first to predict that next year there will be no 'M' GPUs, just a single product lineup that spans both desktop and laptop alike. The desktop will retain exclusivity of the highest end Ti chips but other than that the lineup will be identical. It hath been foretold!
    Argh! Don't apply the brakes on the hype train! It must reach its destination precisely on time!

Anandtech did a piece recently where they found that Android is much more multi-threaded than anyone previously realised. It easily makes use of octa-cores (even MediaTek deca-cores) in everyday usage such as installing apps and web browsing via Chrome: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9518/the-mobile-cpu-corecount-debate

And even if Sony can't escape the throttle monster (again it has the best defences of any OEM with dual heatpipes), then I'd still likely be happy with it. The 810 comes with the Adreno 430 GPU which is still a lot more powerful than the Adreno 418 in the 808 of the Nexus 5X. There are other (no less important) reasons why I chose Z5 Compact over the Nexus 5X too - from what I've learnt of the latter through the numerous leaks; size, storage, battery and fingerprint scanner location being the main ones. Sure, I could wait for shiny 820 to arrive next year if I really wanted to, but that's still many moons away and my Nexus 5's battery life and oleophobic display coating is wearing thin.

TomJGX, ajc9988 and jaybee83 like this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you guys want to discuss smartphones, we have a forum for that - http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/smartphones-and-tablets.1120/

As for the variable TDP of the 980, its unavoidable. You can't stick a 200W board like Clevo is using in the P870DM and P775DM in a smaller form factor with inadequate cooling. I don't really think the average consumer is going to care. Those of us that do care will do our research before purchase anyway.

TomJGX, ajc9988, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Only the P870DM card is the full blown 200W edition, the P775DM already uses a slightly "cut-down" 180W version.

One thing is for sure, whoever is gonna offer a GXX in standard MXM-B package is going to make huge bucks in the upgrade market place.

A single GXX in an SLI system makes little sense if SLI 980M can easily beat it.

Heck even a single 980M could already be OCed to match or even beat a stock 980 back in January:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3685189

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3685371

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4569428

TomJGX, ajc9988, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Doh! Forgot about the cut down version lol. But realistically, that 20W difference should easily be able to be made up in overclocking.

jaybee83 likes this.
  6. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Ohh we have a smartphone section now? Cool!

And isn't desktop 980 165W? Why is this new identically clocked 980 higher power than there original desktop one? :S

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    i take it youre not going for a 980 in your phoenix then? ;)

its not clocked higher, it just has better cooling capacity of up to 200W and more power phases installed for higher stability in high-power-draw situations such as OVERCLOCKING! ;) @Prema: waiting for pictures of that GARGANTUAN P870DM 980 6 pipe heatsink! :D

8. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Overclocking. Ah so strange to hear it in this context, considering the driver blocking shenanigans they pulled earlier this year.

Do you think they integrated this extreme overclocking capability into the '980 for mobile' before or after the backlash from clockblock-gate?

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    they pulled those exactly in order to prepare for the 980 monster ;) same goes for the crippled 980M power phase situation! it actually has less of those installed than previous mobile flaghips like 880M / 780M! so my guess is that it was their plan all along to market the 980 with its overclocking ability and to artificially keep the 980M away from it, otherwise....who in their right mind with proper oc knowledge and a pimped up 980M would upgrade to a 980? :p its just business...

TomJGX, triturbo and Samot like this.
  10. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Ewww... business. Bleh :(

TomJGX, ajc9988 and jaybee83 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.