nVidia 2015 mobile speculation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    ...testing logic...

...error...

...does not compute...

TomJGX, Mr Najsman, D2 Ultima and 2 others like this.
  2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    oooh trust me, i know that itch only too well! :D just gotta slap myself every once in a while to come back on track

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ajc9988 likes this.
  3. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Well at least I can be distracted by the fact I'm upgrading my phone from 2 year old Nexus 5 to a super shiny new Sony Xperia Z5 Compact next week! Literally shiny because it's made of glass. That should help ease the emotional pain caused by this announcement. I can't wait. MUST HAVE MORE SHINY!

TomJGX, jaybee83 and ajc9988 like this.
  4. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    why don't wait for the new nexus 5 next week? it's not like SD810 won't throttle with dual pipes...

5. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    The fact that the 980 won't be offered in anything smaller than 17.3" form factor makes me feel better about my 980M. Still the best in 15.6" form factor! It can at least retain that title until Pascal.

Dual heat pipes and thermal paste. And why the lack of optimism? It's been proven that the Z5 range can record 4K video longer than any other 2015 flagship (even S6 and G4), because it can control the heat much better. Dual heatpipes > single heatpipe. I have faith :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ha, same here buddy! but instead of a Z5 ill be swapping out my N5 with a huawei nexus 6P, cant wait! 6 more days until official announcement, yehaw! :D i was really considering going non-nexus this time around (Z5 series, S6 series, etc), but i just cant resist the software factor :) add to that the battery capacity, which is just larger in the n6p than in any other phone ive checked. also, this time it has to be a phablet! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ajc9988 and heibk201 like this.
  7. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    I tried going phablet with 5.5" Moto X Play and it didn't work out so I returned it. Sure, I could use it two handed, but it wasn't as comfortable in my pockets as my previous smaller phones which was the deal breaker.

I'm sure the Nexus phones will be great :D

Sony's been making progress with their skin and it's very stock Android-like in the Z5's. Also, I've just read a reliable review of the Compact (from The Guardian) where they state three day battery life without using power saving mode - the hype train is at full throttle!

TomJGX, ajc9988 and jaybee83 like this.
  8. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    let's get real here, qualcomm f'd up hard this year, SD810 if anything is the closest representation of the 880M in smartphones. even with dual heat pipes and thermal paste, where is the heat going? let's take a few guesses here:
    if it's trying to go outside, then you end up feeling it toasting your hand like the one m9
    if it's just stagnating inside, then not much a difference is made

the problem with a smartphone is that it just can't have any active cooling systems. you can't let the user get burned, but you also can't heat the SoC up too much, which makes you end up with throttling... then comes the question, if you are getting an octa core that can only use 6 cores 90% of the time, why bother getting the octa core?

this is the kind of problem you see in a near-monopoly market. OEMs just lazily relies on qualcomm for everything, and when qualcomm takes a chilling year, they all get screwed one way or another. the even sadder and more ironic thing is that you can almost replace qualcomm with nvidia in most of what I just said :rolleyes:

don't get me wrong, the Z5 series does look promising and impressive, it's just that I don't think the SD810 is worth getting at all especially with qualcomm rushing out the next gen SD620 with A72s and their own new custom Kryo cores soon enough. after all this generation of snapdragon is really the 800M series of smartphones

TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    PC GAMER and steberg like this.
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There will be a standard MXM 3.0b version that will have a cut down TDP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.