nVidia 2015 mobile speculation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Probably would have been a little better for sales to call it a 990M.

Having multiple similarly named cards is a bit confusing. Many consumers buying gaming laptops are not knowledgeable about the details that distinguish 980M from GTX 980 or now the "GTX 980 for Notebooks," but they know the 980 has been out for about a year now.

Giving it a new model name would have made these laptops sound a bit more exciting, something brand new on the market.

2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious how its real world performance is gonna be. if its near identical to full 980 i might as well buy this if its not a whole lot more.

also i wonder if they are going to do this with pascal.

and someone mentioned the gt80 getting two?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    People spending the kind of money these machines will command will know what they're getting. I don't think there will be a lot of these. NVidia is having to do some serious binning to cut them down to the various TDP levels.

4. PrimeTimeAction

PrimeTimeAction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    oh yes, no doubt about that! i just have my own philosophy on upgrading: take my overclocked scores and compare them to the new hardware's stock - if the difference is larger than +50%, its worth upgrading to
    reason being that both values would be secured/stable, since no one can guarrantee me any specific oc clocks on the specific piece of hardware i would receive ;)

all gaming benchmarks released thus far point to a performance difference of less than 5% compared with a regular desktop 980.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    hmscott and Ethrem like this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The desktop comparisons are kind of misleading... 4770K does not equal 6700K. There is likely a wider gap between them when it's an apples to apples comparison.

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right... not an expert in desktop processors, but from the preliminary benchmarks I saw, wouldn't the gap between the two cpu's be in favour of 6700K?

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yes it would. so the desktop running the 4770K should score a tad higher with a 6700K, thus slightly widening the gap between desktop 980 and desktop 980 mobile :)

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Depends on the benchmark, but the ones run so far are not very CPU dependent at all. Stuff like FS Graphics Test, Heaven, and especially Tomb Raider, which basically doesn't care what CPU you have as it's like the most GPU-bound test ever. Plus the 980 is not so powerful as to see any sort of meaningful increase because of +300 MHz going from 4770K to 6700K esp. since the IPC increase from Haswell to Skylake is only 5%.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    TomJGX, Mr Najsman and jaybee83 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.