NTSC color gamut? IPS "Level"?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Despotes, Apr 2, 2020.

  1. Despotes

    Despotes Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    15
    I'm checking out laptops and noticed many new laptops are now listing the NTSC standard of color reproduction as opposed to sRGB. I've never seen this standard for laptop screens before. A soon to be released $1K laptop has 45% NTSC value for it's "IPS-Level" screen. Isn't 45% awful? Also, exactly what is an IPS- "level" screen? Is it not a real IPS screen?
    I just want a laptop with a nice screen that can display accurate colors and not have much glow or bleed. Are we still 20 yrs ago tech wise for IPS screens?
     
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. victorgm

    victorgm Notebook Geek

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    23
    Trophy Points:
    16
    IPS level screen = TN Panel = marketing trick. 45% NTSC is quite poor around 55-65% sRGB and probably bad contrast, try to find an alternative with at least 72% NTSC = 100& sRGB. Good luck!
     
  3. petitcat

    petitcat Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    NTSCor sRGB represent the color range that you can have on the screen. 45% NTSC is pretty low that you're screen could be very red, or very blue depends on where the 45% located.

    I've seen a GIGABYTE AERO laptop that my friend has and that the screen is STUNNING.....
    It's an OLED panel (just checked the website, the screen is 100% DCI-P3 color gamut which is 25% more colors than 100% sRGB)). I've never ever experienced that kind of visual experience on a laptop but on TV. Check it if you're looking for high quality panel.
     
    JRE84 likes this.
  4. Despotes

    Despotes Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    15
    Even the Asus Zephyrus G14 specs say, "IPS Level" panel, but Pantone validated. So, it's a TN panel with decent colors?
     
  5. petitcat

    petitcat Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    humm you got me curious about it. It sounds interesting that if a manufacture can provide great color performance on an "just ok" panel?
    So i looked it up and found this article: https://www.cnet.com/news/pantone-validated-on-that-new-laptop-probably-doesnt-mean-what-you-think/

    So basically what i understand from this article is, the color accuracy only applies on the colors that the panel can provide. For example, if a panel that comes with 55% sRGB, then the color will be pretty accurate within the 55%, however, for the rest of 45% color, that's the secrets that the manufactures can't tell you. :p

    in my point of view, a good quality panel is the most important factor if you cares about the visual experience, then fr those color accurate certifications/ validations... etc.. will be something enhance the panel performance based on the panel you have. :p
     
  6. ZaZ

    ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

    Reputations:
    4,885
    Messages:
    33,768
    Likes Received:
    1,142
    Trophy Points:
    581
    Back when Lenovo ended the production of the 15" ThinkPad T60 with SXGA+ and UXGS Flexview IPS screens, for a long time it was really hard to get a notebook with a good screen outside of a tablet. Fortunately, things have improved in the last five years and even some budget segment notebooks offer IPS screens. In todays market, wouldn't settle for less than an IPS screen.
     
Loading...

Share This Page