NTSC color gamut? IPS "Level"?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Despotes, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Despotes

Despotes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm checking out laptops and noticed many new laptops are now listing the NTSC standard of color reproduction as opposed to sRGB. I've never seen this standard for laptop screens before. A soon to be released $1K laptop has 45% NTSC value for it's "IPS-Level" screen. Isn't 45% awful? Also, exactly what is an IPS- "level" screen? Is it not a real IPS screen?
    I just want a laptop with a nice screen that can display accurate colors and not have much glow or bleed. Are we still 20 yrs ago tech wise for IPS screens?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. victorgm

victorgm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IPS level screen = TN Panel = marketing trick. 45% NTSC is quite poor around 55-65% sRGB and probably bad contrast, try to find an alternative with at least 72% NTSC = 100& sRGB. Good luck!

3. petitcat

petitcat Newbie

Reputations:
    NTSCor sRGB represent the color range that you can have on the screen. 45% NTSC is pretty low that you're screen could be very red, or very blue depends on where the 45% located.

I've seen a GIGABYTE AERO laptop that my friend has and that the screen is STUNNING.....
    It's an OLED panel (just checked the website, the screen is 100% DCI-P3 color gamut which is 25% more colors than 100% sRGB)). I've never ever experienced that kind of visual experience on a laptop but on TV. Check it if you're looking for high quality panel.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. Despotes

Despotes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even the Asus Zephyrus G14 specs say, "IPS Level" panel, but Pantone validated. So, it's a TN panel with decent colors?

5. petitcat

petitcat Newbie

Reputations:
    humm you got me curious about it. It sounds interesting that if a manufacture can provide great color performance on an "just ok" panel?
    So i looked it up and found this article: https://www.cnet.com/news/pantone-validated-on-that-new-laptop-probably-doesnt-mean-what-you-think/

So basically what i understand from this article is, the color accuracy only applies on the colors that the panel can provide. For example, if a panel that comes with 55% sRGB, then the color will be pretty accurate within the 55%, however, for the rest of 45% color, that's the secrets that the manufactures can't tell you. :p

in my point of view, a good quality panel is the most important factor if you cares about the visual experience, then fr those color accurate certifications/ validations... etc.. will be something enhance the panel performance based on the panel you have. :p

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Back when Lenovo ended the production of the 15" ThinkPad T60 with SXGA+ and UXGS Flexview IPS screens, for a long time it was really hard to get a notebook with a good screen outside of a tablet. Fortunately, things have improved in the last five years and even some budget segment notebooks offer IPS screens. In todays market, wouldn't settle for less than an IPS screen.