NP9870-S (P870DM-G) - Nvidia GTX 980 - Overheating

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Krileon, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krileon

Krileon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been having an ongoing issue with the GTX 980 in this thing overheating. Soon as it hits 70c it's basically done and black screens. I've tested a wide array of things and am at my wits end.

I've reached out to XoticPC regarding this (whom I purchased it through) and they've been less than helpful except for only recently due to my public display of frustration over their customer support.

I'm hoping perhaps some of the professionals here have some experience with this or something more to test? I've tried underclocking and that works for awhile as long as my game settings are low enough to never push it to maximum load, which generates too much heat. Primarily low settings with VSYNC is the only way I can manage to keep it from overheating so quickly.

Below is my XoticPC topic with everything I've tried. There's also HWINFO dumps in my topic with my most recently reply containing 2 temperature dumps showing it crashing at 70c. Even with fn + 1 maxing the fans out it still overheats.

http://xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?18528-NP9870-S-Nvidia-980-Overheating-nvlddmkm

Getting the feeling this GPU just flat out does not belong in a laptop.

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Was the heat issue resolved by repasting?

Also, your black screen sounds like driver problem. Does this thread help - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...g-drivers-mirror.786094/page-10#post-10214806. Especially part about DDU.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a loose connection in a cable to the panel in which heat causes the display to lose its signal. Do you have an external monitor to check to see if the card still produces a signal when used but hooked up to an external display?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Krileon likes this.
  3. Krileon

Krileon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the repaste didn't solve it. It did help a good bit as the initial paste job was done rather poorly.

I've tried about 5 different drivers. Starting with the ones that came with the system. I now have the latest beta drivers installed, but issue persists. It consistently crashes at around 70c. I didn't use DDU though, but I did use the clean install option on every install though. I had no issues with the actual install of the drivers. I'll try with DDU this time and see if that helps.

I think I can manage to dig up an old monitor to try, but would that cause the event log to throw errors? Any idea where I can check this cable (the literal entire bottom of this laptop comes completely off... quite nice actually). I remember having a similar issue with my previous laptop of which I had to RMA, but they never told me what was wrong with it. It's just unfortunately a bad time for me to be able to RMA right now. It seams like the GPU fan just isn't working very well at all.

4. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you getting any errors in the event log when it crashes like that? Does one fan seem like it is working harder than the other fan as well? I don't think that would be the error for the crash, but would be something that we would probably want to look at as well if it isn't working.

I know the service manager is checking in to some of this for you. But if there is anything I can do to help out as well, feel free to contact me here or email me. We want to make sure we can find a way to get this taken care for you.

5. Krileon

Krileon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, sometimes event errors are logged. Basically the driver stops responding (TDR). I've already adjusted the TDR delay which doesn't help and will be running DDU and installing latest beta to see if that can help.

One fan is absolutely working harder than the other. More specifically the CPU fan is working fine, but the GPU fan barely seams to move air. It's possible there's a bad connection with the fan or this fan is just no good.

On a side note as updated in my XoticPC topic it's extremely weird to me that the copper heat pipes have all been painted black. Does anyone else with this model have this issue? When you open the bottom see if the heat pipes are painted black or plain copper. Should be plain copper.

6. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    is this a common problem with this laptop? Why is it overheating at 70c? That isn't that hot for a GPU I have seen people who run their cards A LOT hotter than that and have no problems with overheating at all....even if it is a fan problem 70c isn't that hot and shouldn't be overheating at that temp...

*edit* I am almost positive all the new Sager/Clevo's heatpipes are black I think they did that because of people calling them "batman" lol but my laptop is "older" and my heatpipes are just plain ol copper and they look awesome :)

Krileon likes this.
  7. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, the models I've all seen are all that way with the black heat pipes. I don't think if it was making a significant performance change in heat that they would have painted them. I'll let our service manager know about the fan issue though as well, so he can check in to that.

Krileon likes this.
  8. Krileon

Krileon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No idea if it's a common problem with Sager laptops, but seams to be a TON of Nvidia BSOD issues lately. So I'm not sure what to make of it. My HWINFO report dumps for both crashes are attached to my XoticPC topic if you think it could be something else failing.

Ah, ok thanks for the black heat pipe explanation, lol. Didn't realize they were doing this on purpose.. to components no one sees unless they open it, lol.

Ok, thank you!

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can you check the GPU fan cable to the header? Is it loose? If it is the header itself, a temp sensor or something on the mobo has gone caput, then you're most likely going to have to find some way to get it in to be looked at.

Another thought, with the P870DM, there was an EC problem that needed correcting in the BIOS. @Phoenix or @Prema may have more additional information. Since the EC has some decisions to make regarding fans, is there a way to check to see if you need to update the EC?

Also, perhaps @pat@XOTICPC or @Meaker@Sager may be able to provide some assistance as well.

----

p.s. - Can't get to any crash/dump reports due to Xotic's forum policies for unregistered users. If anyone on these forums asks for them, you'll most likely need to repost them here.

Krileon likes this.
  10. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even if something is wrong with the fan or its loose, the GPU shouldn't overheat or have problems at 70c maybe in the high end of 80c but it shouldn't be having problems at 70c.....

Krileon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.