NP9772 vs NP9752 vs GT72

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cjoshuav, Apr 19, 2015.

?

All things being equal, go with the:

1. MSI Dominator Pro GT72

16.7%
  2. Sager NP9772

83.3%
  3. Sager NP9752

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjoshuav

cjoshuav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm looking to replace my Alienware 17, and have been considering a number of different DTR, Gaming rigs. I will use the laptop for work and play, so - among other things - I do care about the keyboard for typing. I have several questions:

I looked at the Origin Eon15-X and Eon17-X, Gigabyte P35X, Asus G751, MSI GT72, and two Sagers: NP9752 and NP9772.

I've narrowed it down to the GT72 and the two Sagers (the latter two I would get from xoticpc, I assume).

The main thing that has turned me off to the GT72 is the lack of an IPS screen.

I also really like the desktop processor that is in the Sagers.

I've read good things about the cooling and the ease of upgrade on the MSI GT72. Can anyone comment about how the two Sagers compare in that regard?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how the cooling on the 15" 9752 compares to the cooling on the 17" 9772.

Other than the dimensions, are the guts on the two Sagers basically identical?

One thing I like about a 17" screen is the ability to work on two documents side by side. Does anyone have any experience with working with two docs on the smaller Sager?

Is there much difference in the bulk between the two machines? Would I be better off just going with the 9772, all things being equal, because the size difference is negligible?

Is there anything I need to be concerned about reliability-wise on the Sagers?

Finally, can anyone point me to the service manuals for the Sagers?

Thanks for your time!

2. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Please fill out this form.

3. cjoshuav

cjoshuav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    DataShell,

I saw that form, but my questions are extremely specific and almost none of those questions seemed relevant to those specific questions.

To be more specific, I'm not asking someone to recommend a laptop based on my criteria. I know which laptops meet my criteria and why.

I'm asking if anyone has the personal experience to compare the two form factors on the Sagers, and if anyone's personal experience indicates a difference in build quality or cooling among the three machines.

I'm also trying to find service manuals on the Sagers.

Consequently, questions about my budget, preferred screen size and type, usage patterns, etc. aren't relevant. I know I want a 980M and a 1920x1080 (FHD) IPS screen. I also know I like the idea of a desktop processor, but am not wedded to it.

4. cjoshuav

cjoshuav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One other note. I like the storage options (2 x 2.5" + 2 x m.2) better on the Sagers. The MSI is 1 x 2.5", and 4 x m.2. With that in mind, unless the comments on this thread indicate that the build quality and/or cooling is much better on the MSI - something I haven't seen in the reviews - the decision is likely to come down to between the two Sagers.

I really wish I could see them side-by-side, because at that point it's really all about form factor.

5. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few questions are still relevant as these laptops have a number of different configurations. It would be helpful to know
    • your budget
    • your desired battery life
    • what kind of storage you want (HDD/SSD)
    • how much storage you want.

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    The GT72 is a non-option for me.. heavily overpriced, BGA turd CPU which is very crippled in it.. Now the Sager NP9752/9772... The 17.3" model has better cooling for sure... There is more space in the chasiss.. Bulk wise, I believe the 9752 is 3.5kgs and the 9772 is 4.1kg..

Sager's are pretty reliable and as for service manuals, just google Clevo P750/751ZM and P770/771ZM manauls..

Oh Yeah, just remember to buy from Sager Resellers like XoticPC, GentecPC, LPC-Digital, Pro-star, Powernotebooks etc as the service you get is much better.. It comes with standard 1 year warranty but I would get 2-3 years since it is an expensive purchase and you don't want it to be useless if something happens after a year..

7. cjoshuav

cjoshuav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Budget - Prices are comparable among the three.

Battery Life - Not a factor

Storage - As stated above, I already know I prefer having two 2.5" drives that I can take up to 2TB each. Hence my inclination toward the Sagers.

Warranty - I'll definitely put it on my AmEx, which doubles the warranty.

Manuals - Aha. I didn't think to go to the Clevo site. I only went to the Sager one. Found them here.

8. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Clevos are a fair bit cheaper, and you haven't specified what configurations you're considering. It would help to know your budget.

9. cjoshuav

cjoshuav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for following up. I'm really just trying to compare form factors, build quality, and cooling.

In all three cases, I'm looking at the 980M. There's only one (mobility) CPU option on the MSI. The Sagers use either the 4790 or the 4790k (for overclocking) CPU's. Spec'd comparably (although, obviously, the processor is vastly superior on the Sagers), the prices come out in the $2400-$2500 range.

10. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    $2500? Where are you buying from? At XoticPC, the NP772 costs around $2000 for 4790k+980M.

NewKidInTown likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.