Np9377 Failure/ Fire

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by yeoldegamer1979, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Once the magic smoke escapes it's very difficult to put back in. Likely turned it at the wrong angle so all the electrons fell out :p

jaybee83, ALLurGroceries and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wow, those are fantastic pics! Thanks for posting those man!

I toasted an AT power supply and mobo way back once by accidentally swapping the connectors. Took down the entire office's power AND I saw the magical smoke dragon. It was a great day to be a teenager. :D

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I got the magic smoke by putting the floppy connector in one pin over. The entire floppy power cable vaporized.

ALLurGroceries likes this.
  4. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well after finding out this would be a charged repair I decided to try an fix this myself. Once my wife found out what happened she conviced me to move on after waiting for support to respond. I just wanted to thank all of you for answering my questions and offering your help. I'll be headed back to the land of Desktops.

In my line of work I run into situations like this with products and we collect the items to perform evaluations. I do have to admit the response from support that I was out of warranty was not what I expected. At company I work for I would have been let go if I responded to a customer in this fashion.

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If it was Sager support feel free to send me a copy and i can review if you feel you were treated unfairly.

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Take it from me, bro... that's a much better place to be. Way less nonense to put up with. Still a little, but nothing in comparison.
    Same here. There is a zero tolerance for poor service and rudeness with the people whose money is what keeps the lights on. Funny, I have said that about more than one company. Tech companies are often among the worst offenders as well.

yeoldegamer1979 likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What company is this? So I could avoid them and tell friends to avoid them in the future.

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I understand this response? The reason I would be fired is because I'm not doing my job.

Due to the agreement I signed I can't tell you the company I work for only that it is a Fortune 500 company. What I can tell you is that if a customer comes to me and explains that their ( insert product ) caught on fire, exploded, etc., the first directive is to make sure everyone is safe and second to collect the item to figure out what went wrong.

The age and warranty status of the item is not as relevant as the possible consequences and harm that it could cause to others. It might sound kind of cheesy but I care about the people I come in contact with that have to deal with these sort of things.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think @Mobius 1 was asking about the company that sold you the laptop (the Clevo reseller) and not where you work. He (and others) might want to avoid that particular Clevo reseller for their shoddy service blowing you off and treating you like a nuisance because you were out of warranty as they did. That kind of short-sighted approach to customer service is deserving of avoidance. They should be willing to help you sort your problem regardless of your warranty. The only difference in service should be who is picking up the tab for the repair, not how you are treated as the customer. I would not want to be a repeat customer with any vendor that only cared about me, and my satisfaction level, during the factory warranty period.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    jaybee83 and yeoldegamer1979 like this.
  10. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    If this happened to be on our end, please feel free to PM me any relevant info/exchanges between you and our support. Out of warranty or not, I can look into things and try to make them right.

jaybee83, Mr. Fox and yeoldegamer1979 like this.