Np9377 Failure/ Fire

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by yeoldegamer1979, Jan 16, 2019.

1. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys (and gals),

I was doing homeowrk last night and started smelling something between electrical and burning. I turned off the system and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. When I went to turn it back on it started to boot, then shut off. I could see a flame behind the right speaker grill. I havent tried to turn it back on. Given the age ( and out of pocket cost I'm guessing) is it worth sending in?

2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wow! Glad to hear it didn't spread and cause damage to anything else.

The system may still be serviceable, whether it's worth it or not is up to you & your seller (depending on what they quote for repairs). Good luck with it, and be safe!

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    omg, thats not something u read about every day *lol* glad everyone is safe!

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I had an Alienware M18xR2 motherboard catch on fire. It turned out the damage was minimal and confined only to the shorted component, with a bit of discoloring of the PCB around it that did not affect functionality. It was repaired and put back into service. The amplifier for the external audio jacks is what caught fire. Another M18xR2 motherboard that belonged to a friend of mine also caught fire, but in his case the damage was extensive. MOSFETS for the CPU are what caught on fire. So, definitely take it apart and see how much damage there is. Any electronic part can fail randomly and this is not necessarily an indication of a serious flaw in the overall product. Most of the surface mounted components are very inexpensive.

jaybee83 likes this.
  7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it was on fire, I'm thinking repairs will cost enough to make replacing the computer look like an attractive alternative.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    As Mr.Fox said it can depend on where, but never good.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @yeoldegamer1979 if you get a chance to post pictures of the damage, it'd be interesting to see. Good luck!

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The first two photos are of the machine that I owned. That is the motherboard that was repaired. The other photos are the other system I mentioned with the MOSFETs that caught fire. Oddly enough, there were visible flames and smoke from the audio amplifier chip, whereas the MOSFETs that blew only produced a very strong burn odor, with no visible flames or smoke.

Honestly, I think with a little extra effort the other one would have also been repairable. The solder pads were torched pretty badly on the MOSFET closest to the heat pipes, so it was replaced. The parts would have probably been less than $10 (with 75% of the total cost being shipping).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are photos of my ASUS Rampage VI Apex motherboard that caught fire. ASUS replaced it under warranty. The damage was severe and the PCB was badly burned. This was a IC chip for the CPU fan controller that caught fire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Papusan, jclausius and ALLurGroceries like this.