NP900X3G - Successor to the ATIV Book 9 (not Lite or Plus) with Haswell

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abw1987, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james1010uk

james1010uk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your prompt response. Perhaps the user who reported the brightness "issue" hadn't applied the couple of presses to go up to full brightness. User vjoel - can you please comment on this?

I can probably live with a little light bleeding, but it's really encouraging that you haven't experienced this. Display brightness is more important to me. The official figures in the notebookcheck review indicate a very bright screen.

I think I'm almost ready to make the purchase, perhaps in the next year or so.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    All laptop vendors seem to have their unique quirks on which they insist, even when they confuse the majority of owners. Controlling brightness and understanding Silent Mode are the rites of passage for owners of Samsung laptops.

Traditionally on Samsung laptops, it has been all about defeating the Adaptive Brightness feature, which would seem to come back no matter how many times users disable it. As long as it is enabled, users are either unable to manually control screen brightness, or they find that the maximum brightness is restricted. Once Adaptive Brightness is thoroughly disabled, brightness can be raised significantly higher.

The problem is (or rather: was) that Adaptive Brightness sometimes had to be disabled in several different places in order to stay dead, as described here and here. AND it has to be disabled both in Normal mode and Silent Mode (more about those in a minute).

Fortunately, more recent version of Samsung Settings (the main control program for Samsung laptops) have improved on this, and provide exactly the feature described by member tomahhunt, where a few extra presses of the Increase Brightness button (Fn-F3) will break through the Adaptive Brightness limit. Some Settings versions will automatically apply enable/disable of Adaptive Brightness in all the necessary places -- while other versions don't have the control at all, and rely on Win8's Charms-Settings-Change PC Settings menu.

This may account for the different experiences of members tomahhunt and vjoel.

For owners of newer Samsung models, more recent versions of Samsung Settings are generally preferred. All Samsung software updates must be found with the SW Update utility (NOT on Samsung's website, which I guess is another rite of passage).

As for the other rite of passage I mentioned, Silent Mode, check this post ;)

John Ratsey likes this.
  3. james1010uk

james1010uk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your detailed and informative post.

4. gennaro987

gennaro987 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought this laptop. I am on the whole satisfied with the machine: the display has some bleeding, but I can notice it only at startup. Also, the pc seems very quiet. The only disappointment till now is the keyboard, although I will probably get used to it.

I have a specific, for some of you maybe silly question. On "This PC", section "Network Locations", I find "[PC]WIN-7CG6BV*****" (the asterisks are other letters/numbers). Can someone explain me what is this?

Anyway thank you very much: this thread really helped me to take a decision to buy!

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    It sounds like this is Windows' showing you its own media streaming server (DLNA). If it matches the computer's network name (look under Control Panel-System) then that's it. Or it could be another PC on your network running media streaming which this PC is detecting.

I believe Microsoft enables Media Streaming (again, DLNA server) by default on networks designated as Private Networks, but not on Public Networks (sensibly). In previous Windows versions you were able to easily change the Network between Home, Work and Public (in Control Panel-Network and Sharing). But as far as I can tell, Microsoft removed that functionality in Win8.x -- for reasons I could never understand.

You CAN however change Media Streaming options (and disable it) under Control Panel-Network and Sharing-Advanced sharing settings.

If that's not what you're seeing, I don't know what else it could be.

6. thranduil

thranduil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody!
    My machine was shipped with win 8.1 pro. As I am not so expert, i'd like to ask you something about a clean install (without all the useless apps) of the OS (again win 8.1).

First of all (and most important): is it advisable? Or do I risk to do something stupid?

Second: What about the warranty? I read somewhere in this thread that, in any case, I should create a backup of the original system with the original system. May one use simply Samsung recovery for this? Or do I need something more sophisticated and a mystery for me (like Factory Image backup)?

Third: Does "PC settings" > "Update and Recovery" > "Recovery" > "Remove everything and reinstall windows" give me a clean install? Or does it give me the same system with all junk as the original?

Forgive my imprecise language :)
    Thank you in advance!

7. Perrype

Perrype Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [/I]

I have done it already following the instructions of another user of this forum. If you look for my posts you will find everything u need!!

8. Naiad

Naiad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I couldn´t resist and bought the 900x3g a second time, this time with "only" 128gb ssd.
    the light bleedings is visible but, by far less visible in comparison to the one i returned.

still having problems to connect a Note8 and a note2 to the usb-ports, minimal movement of the cabel and the connection is gone! two different cables. no connection problems with my old dell laptop. I think its a software bug, maybe because devices a rooted? Someone observed something similar? connecting as camera-devices works fine.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hello thranduil. I got a a little late to this party, but welcome to NBR.

Although it varies from one model to the next, Samsung is usually not as bad as some vendors when it comes to bloat. But there are some unnecessary items, and you can start by uninstalling them using the Programs and Features control panel. Other than hardware drivers, the only items from Samsung that are strictly necessary, are Settings (Fn-keys, keyboard backlight, power management etc) and SW Update (the only way to get Samsung driver updates, but otherwise not strictly required). If you are in doubt whether an item listed in Programs and Features is a Samsung item, open SW Update and see if it is listed there.

One member reported in late 2012 that the Refresh feature in Windows 8.x would clean out bloatware -- but others later reported that it leaves the same bloat as a factory installation. I haven't been able to test myself, since mine came with Win7 pre-installed.

As for a clean-install, member Perrype already referred to his report, which can be found here. I would recommend that anybody reads up a bit first on the subjects of UEFI and GPT (here and here) before performing a clean install on any computer pre-installed with with Win8.x, as there are some significant differences from the good old days of Win7.

Perrype also mentions a factory image backup of you Recovery, which I would recommend as well. Follow the first two steps in this post.

Oh, and I had no problems understanding your English :)

thranduil likes this.
  10. thranduil

thranduil Newbie

Reputations:
    @Dannemand and @Perrype: Thank you so much to both of you!

I have another (unrelated) question though.

I am having some problem with the ethernet connection: The first days the connection worked properly. Then the following happened: The cable (with adapter) being inserted (indeed, it remained plugged in from the prevoius session, when it did work), the connection started "blinking". I can see that on my modem the led blinks for a moment about once a second, and from the network panel of the laptop the connection continuously appears and disappears with the same frequency. Even more strangely, without touching anything, the connection establishes after some time and remains up for a variable amount of time, then the same problem presents.

Searching for a solution, Windows says that (1) there is no cable connected, if I am in a "blinking" phase (2) no problem, if in that moment the connection works. Hence, I initially thought that the problem was in the port (or the adapter), but since the problem does not present always (today, for example, everything seems fine), I am in doubt.

Did anybody face similar issues? Any explanation different from a defective port? (the drivers are up to date, and the modem, as well as the cable, work perfectly with other devices)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.