NP900X3G - Successor to the ATIV Book 9 (not Lite or Plus) with Haswell

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abw1987, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello Perrype,

I am away most of the day, so this will be quick response. But I wanted to give you a heads-up before you start.

0) Do NOT use Microsoft's USB creation tool (assuming it is the original one for Win7): It creates an NTFS formatted USB stick, which is not supported for booting on computers that run UEFI mode (all Win8.x computers). You must install either from DVD or from a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Please see this post for details and alternatives.

1) Correct, if your computer came with Win8, you can NOT use your embedded Product Key during Win8.1 clean install. The trick is to use a generic (and temporary) Product Key during installation and NOT activate, then enter your Win8 Product Key after completed installation and activate using that. See this article for details.

2) Correct, don't format the entire SSD, or you will lose your Recovery. Just format the Windows partition and nothing else, and use it as destination in Windows Setup. Also, do NOT use any installation guides that tell you to disable UEFI (switch to CSM mode) as this will force you to convert the SSD to MBR format -- which wipes it completely.

You need to disable Fast BIOS/Fast Boot in your BIOS settings in order to boot a USB stick (or DVD drive). Depending on your install media, you MAY have to also disable SecureBoot and select OS Mode Selection=UEFI & CSM OS, but only do this if you have to. Change these settings back after completed installation.

Definitely backup any data you have before starting the installation. Also, as a general precaution, I would recommend creating a backup of your Recovery (so-called bootable Factory Image backup) as described in the first two steps in this post -- particularly since you are going to install Win8.1, which several members have reported damaged Samsung Recovery during a clean install.

enc0re likes this.
  2. Perrype

Perrype Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Super detailed and useful. Thank you!!!!!

3. dkukade

dkukade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I asked about the video, and the only reason I was requesting it was because someone else stated that the fan was loud. According to you though if its silent then it might not be worth it; however, maybe just a video showing us the screen and the form factor would be nice. How does the screen do in different lighting situations? How does it look when playing a movie? etc. If its not too much trouble of course.

4. Flecto

Flecto Newbie

Reputations:
    A number of US online shops list the ETA for NP900X3G-S02US as 4/10/2014. So far, Amazon.com does not list NP900X3G-S02US at all. Does anybody have experience with how soon Amazon.com starts selling Samsung Laptops after they become available in the US?

5. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the AB9+ (NP940X3G), Amazon USA ran a brief pre-order sale for about about $200 under MSRP (see that model's discussion thread).

I was hoping Amazon would do the same for this AB9 model, but nothing as of yet. Maybe they still will, but perhaps since Samsung considers this their "business line" and there hasn't even been an official announcement or marketing for it, I wouldn't count on it. At the very minimum, I would at least expect Amazon to carry it at some point.

Seeing how low these initial stock levels will be, this might be a very limited release however.

6. Flecto

Flecto Newbie

Reputations:
    go45cvi likes this.
  7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If those listings are correct then the NP900X3G-S01US has an i7 CPU and 256GB SSD but only 4GB RAM while the NP900X3G-S02US has an i5 CPU, 128GB SSD but 8GB RAM.

If I were shopping for this notebook then I would get the -S02US with the 8GB RAM. The performance difference between the i5 and i7 CPUs isn't noticeable in everyday usage while the SSD can be unofficially upgraded (get the EVO mSATA SSD) while the RAM is soldered and cannot be changed.

John

8. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Typo. They both have 8GB. See the pdf at the bottom of the listing. Also 3-year warranties. The question is whether the i7+256GB is worth an extra $300, probably not. I hope this isn't the last AB9 as I really wish they had put mDP in.

ab9.jpg

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the extra research.

I would probably save the $300 then spend it on a 500GB SSD.

John

10. Unit Igor

Unit Igor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You just hope this isn't last AB9 but you dont know how lucky you are for having option to buy AB9 matt screen with haswell ,you cant buy it in my country ,Samsung stops notebook delivery from 01.01.2014.So don't let this small thing like mDP stooping you from buying this notebook.I would rather be concern with built quality for which some owner say its not like Series 9(aluminum).
    One thing more ,i7 model is worth extra 300$ because 256gb drives cost around 170$ if you want to buy it alone + i7 is worth extra 130$.