NP900X3G - Successor to the ATIV Book 9 (not Lite or Plus) with Haswell

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abw1987, Dec 1, 2013.

1. abw1987

abw1987 Newbie

Reputations:
    I apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong place. Mods, please feel free to move/merge it as needed.

A few months ago, my fiancée was looking for new laptops and fell in love with the Samsung ATIV Book 9. I recommended that she wait a couple months since all the new Haswell machines would be coming out soon, and it would be silly to miss out on the vast battery life improvements they would offer.

Today we went back to Best Buy and played with the new Haswell ATIV Book 9 models -- the Lite and the Plus. The Plus is nice, but it's way too expensive; I feel like you're just overpaying for an unnecessarily high-resolution screen. The screen on the Lite has more than adequate resolution, but the viewing angles are awful, and the colors just look washed out.

The thing is, whereas the Plus was priced at $1400, the Lite was priced at a low $700 or $800. So it seems there is a gaping hole in Samsung's product line. We'd be willing to spend $1000-$1100 on the Lite if it had a better quality screen (not higher resolution), and perhaps a backlit keyboard.

Last year's model hit the right price point... but it lacks a Haswell processor.

So, as per the thread title - does anyone know whether Samsung plans to refresh the middle ATIV Book 9 model with Haswell?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a frequently asked question to which we don't know the answer. We are baffled why Samsung's only Haswell notebook released in the 6 months since Haswell was officially launched is the Book 9 Plus (the Book 9 Lite has an AMD CPU). Perhaps there is still too much Ivy Bridge inventory remaining to be cleared and they felt that Haswell didn't bring big enough improvements in everyday usage to push out more models which would cause the Ivy Bridge machines to be discounted.

The current speculation is that Samsung will show new models at CES (which is only just over a month away).

John

3. abw1987

abw1987 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response as well as the processor clarification. (Obviously the Lite doesn't even use an Intel chip, let alone a Haswell... brain fart on my part.)

Ugh, I feel like I'm always waiting for the next trade show for the perfect model to be released, but that rarely happens. I guess we'll need to go a different route since my fiancée really wanted to have a new machine before Christmas.

The other top contender is the new 13" Macbook Air, but I think she'd be just a little disappointed to forgo a touchscreen now that there are so many touchscreen models available. Unfortunately none of the other laptops at Best Buy really appealed to her visually. (Not even that nice new Yoga 2 Pro!)

4. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oh, so she actually wants a touchscreen model?

i thought the whole point of your question was that you didn't want a touchscreen, but wanted the ATIV 9 style and build quality.

i would love to see the ATIV 9 (as it is right now) simply updated with Haswell and an AC card. it's got the best 1080p matte screen on the market with the best form factor at 2.5 lbs.

5. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've got the 256 gb model atb9 matte i7 and notice the price has gone up over 200 dollars on amazon. IMO, if you want a matte atb9 you should settle with the ivy model. These are ending their life cycle imo.

6. abw1987

abw1987 Newbie

Reputations:
    She ended up going with the Macbook Air.

She did want a touchscreen, but it ended up being less important than some of the other factors. The Air had the right price point, a Haswell processor, insanely good battery life, and a nice form factor. Since she's OS-agnostic, it pretty much hit the sweet spot of specs for her. She seems happy with it. It's honestly crazy to see the battery readout displaying a time of 15+ hours sometimes.

Shame on Samsung for leaving a gap like this in their product line. They lost a potential customer for sure!

7. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe they've probably lost thousands in their haphazard Haswell roll out. But I guess they're selling so many phones and components, no one even cares about their PC line.

8. droyder

Reputations:
    glad she found something she's happy with. personally, i don't like Macs, but all of your points are completely valid.

100% agree with you about Samsung's shortfall here. they've totally missed the boat by not updating the ATIV 9 with haswell.

all Samsung has thus far is 1 haswell model and it's way overpriced, has very average battery life, is much heavier, and its super duper resolution doesn't even scale well with most major programs.

if they don't announce anything new at CES, it'll be clear that Samsung isn't interested in the PC market at all.

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Look in this Samsung Korea document, page 11, and you will find the 900X3G (being Korea this is the NT900X3G - Korean models use the NT prefix).

i5-4200U, 8GB (on board), anti-reflective FHD panel, ac WiFi, 1.13kg.

What took them so long? Let's hope that the model makes it out of Korea.

The same brochure features the 900X4D still with Ivy Bridge while there's a 910S3G with an Intel i3-4020Y CPU. We have identified in another thread what appears to be a 15.6" Series 9.

Edit: It is not just Korea: Here's an NP900X3G-K01UK. However, while the Korean K3G is listed in SW Update's database, the UK version is not, so early January eta is optimistic.

John

oled and droyder like this.
  10. droyder

Reputations:
    John you've given this subject some real hope! thanks so much for providing that info and feel free to let us know if/when you see the UK version in the database.

based on your experience, do you think the US will also be getting a NP900X3G model?