NP8954 GTX 1070 MAX-Q --> GTX 1070 UNLOCK

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by mulzoffh, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Lower performance = less heat basically. Again, same result.

I dont believe any maxq has the slider unlocked.

2. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My GPU has a 150/400 OC at the moment (1070 Max Q - P950HR) and barely hits 70C under load in games. Power draw seems to max out around 85W - does this mean I have the 90W BIOS already? I think there is so much inaccessible potential in this chip, but if I try to OC much more over 150 on core then I start getting game crashes, due to power limit I guess?

So at these temperatures do you think trying the 115W BIOS would still be risky?

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Crashes are normally due to instability, so the voltage is not enough for the clock being asked.

Again it's not core temps but the VRM that's dictating things. It's tuned for efficiency and space at the stock TDP.

djsubtronic likes this.
  4. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity I tried all the VBIOSes that OP linked. There doesn't seem to be a difference between the 125W and 115W versions...both seem to push the card to 125, and the performance boost is actually quite insane but as stated, temperatures and other power issues are a huge concern. For some reason the 90W VBIOS from the OP doesn't seem to work... the GPU just doesn't seem to come back on after flashing it until I go back to my original one or the 115/125. Any idea why? Would love to try that one as it should offer a decent little performance boost with minimal risk (as I already get peak momentary boosts to 85W with the stock VBIOS).

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    No idea, it will be down to the coding in the vbios.

6. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    dj, did you notice in any of the BIOSes you flashed if you have control over the TDP slider in afterburner?

7. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    Didn't check all but on the 115W one it was still disabled. I found a thread explaining that you can effectively limit the power by using the curve editor in AB. Have a read through this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.815216/page-365#post-10885646

I tried this as well but I didn't quite like the results personally. It would stay too low but still have bursts to over 100W. I didn't spend too much time messing with it though.

Also realised the 90W VBIOS actually does work, but just kills the displayports and therefore external monitors. Would be nice if we can find a 90W VBIOS that supports the displayports like the 115/125 ones do.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Short pulses are much less likely to kill the vrm than sustained loads at that level at least.

9. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    I still wouldn't risk using those... but the 90W nets a nice 1000 point boost in 3DMark Firestrike graphics score (15700 -> 16700) which is quite nice, and temperatures around 65 C. This would be ideal, if only the minidp ports worked. If only someone could find (I have tried and failed) this or provide a dump of the Razer Blade 1070 MQ VBIOS and see if the ports work with that one.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That's about 6% so directly in games that will take you from 60 fps to 64 fps.