NP8851 vs NP8954

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Radman365, May 17, 2018.

1. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think you understood the respondence I had and why I had that response in particular. Earlier in the thread it was stated that the difference between a Maxq and full 1070 was about 7% using 3dmark. My response was that in certain testing, especially in synthetic loads, results can actually seem much closer together than they are in actuality, and the use of a full-game benchmark would testify that the difference between cards can be anywhere from 20-40% in actual usage scenarios because the load that 3dmark puts on the GPU isn't the same as a load that far cry 5 or other games would. In fact, I think you touch upon that yourself in this post. 4k 3dmark ultra is meant to strain a GPU, using textures, shaders, and effects that wouldn't need or find a use in real world scenarios.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The combined test will stress both GPU and CPU, however it's true that synthetics need to be used with understanding.

3. I_Borisfen_I

I_Borisfen_I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for offtop, but dear Prema, I really need your help. PM me please, because I can't. This is about bios modding.

4. Radman365

Radman365 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I got busy with other things for a few weeks and came back to my thread here.. WOW lol. I see the disagreements flying around and comparisions with throttling etc.. I'm not as detailed with my requirements but here's what I've found with my P950 for the last two months.
    Undervolted by 140mV, running smoothly and lightning fast. (Admittedly I was using a GTX970 OC before this) The external speakers I could care less about as I always use headphones.
    Witcher 3 I've been playing for days several hours each time and I have not noticed any slowdowns or stuttering. In fact its butter smooth for me on ultra detail. Far Cry 4 same thing. I don't rely on hardware test programs as much as the feel I get playing the actual games.Temperatures were in the high 80s before I undervolted and got a cooling pad. For these thin models I'd say a cooling pad is a must have (how can these fans expect to get enough airflow with only a 3mm gap from the table surface?). The fan volume can get very noisy at times but in a thin laptop I'm really not that surprised. At idle I can't even hear it.
    Average CPU temperatures with HWINFO is about 71-75 degress in witcher which I'm quite happy with. I haven't had the chance to try BF1 but BF4 is running well and smoothly on max detail too, same temperature ranges. I did note with some surprise my average temperatures have been DROPPING a bit with longer usage. They were high even with a cooling pad for the first few weeks, but now they're at the 70 degree range. Weird I know.
    I do HATE the monitor bezel, when I close it holding the camera section it crackles like its going to fall apart on me but it seems to be holding together just fine(so far? :-/ ).
    Wish you all the best of luck in hardware testing comparisions, frankly I'm not seeing any major issues on mine when I'm actually gaming, the P950 isn't perfect of course(I do wish I had a 180W power supply, the 150W gets pretty hot, sager gives an option to buy the 180W as an extra option), but personally the system to me is getting a undeserved bad rap with that pricing.

5. ahmad hendeh

ahmad hendeh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for my earlier reply. I don't know what's going on with my head these days.

Your temperatures are good(did you get it with LM ?) .

The P955 is the helios 300 of the thin and lights. It cuts corners to achieve a VERY competitive pricing(in the 1070MQ category).and after the CCC is fixed It's worth it if you want a thin laptop(and don't mind losing performance for it).

The power supply will never affect your performance. As the main limitation is EC.

Can I ask you to run FS(with max fans) ? I want to see if the flat 14k graphics results are gone.

Sorry again for my earlier reply.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. Radman365

Reputations:
    Yes that's the weird part.. I have NEVER seen mine ever hit 90C, which is why I'm surprised to see people reporting that high a temperature. I did get better thermal paste for the CPU but it shouldn't have dropped my cooling by that much. No liquid metal (assume you mean with LM) just IC Diamond paste.
    Maybe I just got the unicorn of this model?;)
    I'll check FS when I get a chance again, I admit I looked into it when I first bought my laptop but the link I saw wanted me to buy it so I didn't bother. I'll check again to find the legit free version.
    **edit** partial response in first sentence to your previous deleted original reply

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. ahmad hendeh

Reputations:
    You can download the free version of FS from 3dmark website .

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

Go to the bottem of the page for the basic version.

Maybe clevo stock toothpaste sucks this badly. These temps will only happen when the I7 8750H is getting pushed hard(BF1 OR AC:O). But to be fair, all thin and lights get these temps.

8. Radman365

Reputations:
    Well the combined score on FS was 13091, not great I suppose but visually I don't really see any stuttering when running the scenes. The graphics only score was 14942, physics 15555. This was with an undervolt of 140mV using Intel XTU.
    The really good thing was the highest temperature I got was 71 degrees for the CPU. Average is 49 degrees. Can a cooling pad really make that much of a difference?
    Unfortunately I don't have BF1 or AC to really give the CPU a test, I spent most of my money just getting this laptop within my budget LOL

9. ahmad hendeh

Reputations:
    Well I can finally say that "P955 throttling" is over. Your graphics score is where a stock 1070MQ 80W should be.

Cooling pads don't usually help that much. I personally only use them If the laptop is overheating.

Can you try it with an OC ? Want to see if the EC limit actually affects overclocking.

Best regards

10. Radman365

Reputations:
    :(I'm pretty green when it comes to OCing I don't generally do it with the worries about heat and such, so I have no idea where to start
    Note that I have the P950, not the P955 but I suppose the differences are only cosmetic. (I think that's how this whole post started)