NP530Uxx Thread (Series 5 ultrabook)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by gotoh, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vintorlok

Vintorlok Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Niksu, I'll try it then.

2. Vintorlok

Vintorlok Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop is Np530U3B-A02ES with win8 pro now. I've been able to enable the express cache but, what about the hibernate partition that i had before in win7. Is it necessary?

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The separate hibernation partition with Windows 7 was most likely for the Intel Rapid Start Technology. I believe that Windows 8 has its own fast start equivalent. How is the sleep / hibernate / resume performance with your Windows 8?

John

4. Vintorlok

Vintorlok Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi John, thanks for your response. I didn't success with lid up auto resume option, I had to press the start button.

When lid down, the blue led kept on.

Also, I've got too much error with the old easy setting application due to non compatibility with w8.

Eventhough the eccmd -info command showed working expressCache, easy setting didn't show anything about It.

Finally, after 5 or 6 hours intalling and uninstall drivers versión, I came back ti win7 últimate, in which all works correctly without effor.

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2

5. wlf

wlf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just purchased the NP530U3C and NP540U3C. I plan on returning one of them, am weighing up usefulness of the touchscreen vs it being glossy, and the additional weight and thickness.

Anyway something I have noticed, when in Internet Explorer on the touch screen version, I can pinch and zoom on the screen and it is very smooth. If I do the same with the touchpad on both notebooks, it is jumpy.

Is this normal and is there any way to get it as smooth with the touchpad as the touchscreen?

6. eternota

eternota Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've bee reading the whole thread.. I recently bought a 14' Samsung S5 NP530-U4C-S01ES...many people asks about installing windows 8..it's possible, and quite easy to install. In mine I've got (all these partitions in 1tb mechanical hard drive):

partition 1 - windows 8 (no 100mb system partition..it's only usefull for bitlocker, so I dont need it) (primary partition)
    partition 2- ubuntu 12.04 root (primary partition)
    partition 3 - extended partition
    partition 4 - ubuntu 12.04 (home partition) (logic partition)
    partition 5 - data storage for both OS (in NTFS format) (logic partition)
    partition 6 - linux swap (logic partition)
    partition 7 - samsung recovery partition (accesible from GRUB) (primary partition)

As you can see, Ive got windows 8 pro 64bits and ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bits in a dual boot configuration. I still keep Express Cache for windows 8 (in the soldered 24gb sandisk i100 SSD) and samsung recovery (I didn't touched at all that last partition of the HDD during repartitioning, so GRUB created an entry for windows 7 samsung recovery that I still can use (I've tested) so the truth is this a triple boot enviroment (windows 8, ubuntu12.04 and windows 7 recovery)

The only problem is when I access the samsung recovery (from GRUB, not from F4 during boot)...even if I don't use any of the functions of samsung recovery, after accessing it, then the laptop wont boot windows 8 or ubuntu12.04 until I repair GRUB with any Linux live CD. It seems just by accessing recovery, GRUB is erased (or changed) and it must be reinstaled/reconfigured again.

Ubuntu works quite fast in this laptop (of course, UEFI disabled until Samsung fix their Linux related bugs) and windows 8 too. Even with no Express cache for Ubuntu, it's quite faster (booting, response time...) than windows.
    I also use VMware workstation 9 in both operating systems, so I'm able to run windows virtual machines inside ubuntu and viceversa, and the performance is quite good as well.
    Something I dont like about samsung is that, even I've paid for a CPU with VT-d instructions (intel virtualization for directed I/O), and Extended Pages Table, IOMMU etc... only the old VT-x instruction (basic CPU virtualization) is available thanks to the chipset chosen and the implementation of the product made by Samsung ... just for saving costs.
    So no passthrough in XEN, VMware ESXi or KVM testing in this "ultrabook". Of course, I don't need it in a production enviroment, just for educational purpouses...but if I've paid for a CPU with that technology (intel core i5 3317u), I'd like to be able to use it.(because many laptops from Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba etc..got it, why samsung not?)

At this point of my experience with my NP530u4c-S01ES, I ask myself (and anybody interested) if the SATA DVDrw drive can be replaced for a SATA HDD with one of those HDD caddy's I've seen around. (see this post)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727881-samsung-s5-2nd-sata-hard-drive.html

and I'm also looking for a good/fast/cheap 128gb SDD to also replace the mechanic 1tb HDD included.

another question is about external graphic cards. (mine got a dedicated nvidia GT 620M, but I'm interested in a better one).
    I've seen different solutions using an HDMI port from the laptop to an external GPU, like for example this one:

External Graphics Card - Add a eGPU video card to your laptop PE4H PE4L - YouTube

and I would like to know if there is any posibility of using an external graphic card in this laptop.

So thanks for you help!

7. urgiv

urgiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

''Stick with rules''

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi urgiv, welcome to the Samsung forum. And congrats on your new laptop :)

Samsung doesn't provide Win8 install media with their laptops, and unfortunately Microsoft doesn't provide publicly accessible downloads like the ones for Win7. If the previous owner wiped the Recovery and you don't have install media from other sources, you may be out of luck.

The links below are some posts that cover various legal sources of ISOs downloads.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...y-bridge-np900x3e-np900x3f-3.html#post9323404
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/706510-samsung-laptops-bricked-using-uefi-9.html#post9287299
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...780z5e-np870z5e-np880z5e-205.html#post9312619

Please do not ask for or discuss illegal or "alternative" sources on the forum, since it is against our forum rules. This includes asking members to share their disks. Nobody received Win8 disks from Samsung anyway.

9. urgiv

urgiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    THX for you reply
    I owning mine personal official copy of Win 8 is not really problem to install it but sometimes is not stable as pre-factory install ;)

Sometimes is better have original pre-factory partition and install by pressing F4 from it. Easy processes.
    I only want to have computer like from factory but I know is difficultly save somewhere large amount of data as recovery partition.

and member eternota have same model due to mine request.
    As you know all laptops in factory using same image to install WIN 8

10. skor78

skor78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I already have (through Dannemand and other forum users), you will also find out, that even if you get an .iso from the partition you won't be able to recreate the Recovery partition. It requires a special Samsung soft that you can't get your hands in to it legally, or even in a illegal for that matter. Many people here have tried to recreate recovery partition, and all have failed.
    Regarding "stability", just install SWUpdate and install all drivers and soft from Samsung through there, you'll be fine.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.