NP530Uxx Thread (Series 5 ultrabook)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by gotoh, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unlikely. I do not allow windows to install updates without permission.

But you are probably right on that last one. I do get a bit anxious. :p

Dannemand likes this.
  2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    LOL :D

While I agree that it probably isn't the iSSD, I have to say anytime it takes minutes to boot from an SSD, something has to be wrong.

If the boot animation freezes, that indicates the hangup occurs after Windows boot is well underway, and presumably the Device Tree has been already been built. It is worth trying to disable the iSSD device in Device Manager and see if it makes a difference. I wonder if it will stay disabled. I use ExpressCache and haven't tried it myself.

Needless to say, anybody who has ExpressCache installed should NOT disable the iSSD in Device Manager!

Muezick likes this.
  3. Muezick

Reputations:
    OK that is what I was curious about. I am new to this iSSD phenomena and I have no idea what it would look like if one were failing. I've already sworn it off (It's totally unused and I'll probably never write another bit of data to it if I can help it), so outside of the controller literally randomly going kaput some day, it should be ok.

As for windows hanging. Who knows, it's windows, dumb things happen to windows all the time. 95% of the time, the device boots up in about 5 seconds (from Button Press to Windows Logon) ... And I've only seen it hang like I described before like twice, maybe three times.

So I should probably stop worrying. (Yeah Right!)

I am planning on buying a new battery for it next week. I've seen them on ebay for between 80 and 150 and I think Samsung has them in an official capacity for 125. Probably just gonna buy one from Samsung unless some one has a better suggestion?

4. Muezick

Reputations:
    New battery is finally installed. Getting a good 3.5 hours of high cpu intensive battery life and looks like potentially over 5 of casual low intensity work. Pretty good. I haven't tested it extensively yet.

One question for the other owners. Have you updated your BIOS?

Mines been bugging me to update for awhile now. I haven't been able to because it wont let you while there is no battery.

Normally i'd leap into this kind of thing head first but I recently had a fairly negative experience with BIOS updates in which a m.sata port that could formerly act as a bootable drive no longer did so. Ever since it has made me think twice about updating BIOS when a BIOS update is not "needed"

my main question is whether or not a BIOS update might fix the issue where the boot partition is put onto the express cache.

Recently learned that the express cache on this laptop might actually be SLC, which is really amazing and would explain why it has such high endurance. I'm probably still not ever going to use it again lol. I do not fancy a five minute boot time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.