NP530Uxx Thread (Series 5 ultrabook)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by gotoh, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yugoport

yugoport Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

first time poster, but long time reader.

I always try to read as much as I can before starting making questions, but I couldn´t find an answer to this one, maybe is a dumb question but here it goes:

I saw that everybody who installs a new ssd, just replaces the hdd, and keep the 16gb ssd, wouldn´t be possible to replace the 16gb by a let's say 250 gb ssd and keep the 500 gb hdd?

Either way, I am not that happy with performance, sometimes it lags quite a bit waking up from sleep and when with a lot of tasks open, so I am going to upgrade ram and install an ssd.

thanks in advance.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi yugoport, welcome to NBR :)

Assuming you mean the 16GB SSD used for ExpressCache, it's soldered on the motherboard and cannot be replaced. It's also not directly bootable, so even if you install an OS there, you'd still have to boot it via a boot manager on the HDD.

To speed things up, you can uninstall unnecessary Samsung bloat (I'm away from my pc or I would link some posts for you; try googling it).

Also, ExpressCache can slow down sometimes. Try defragging the C drive, then run BOOTOPT.BAT in the ExpressCache folder. It should take some time to optimize. If it doesn't, try defragging and run BOOTOPT.BAT again.

yugoport likes this.
  3. yugoport

yugoport Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Dannemand,

Already did what you suggested and overall speed improved, thank you.

Regarding the 16GB SSD, I could imagine that I would not be the first with a magical idea :) Thank you for your clarification, it was indeed a diubt that I had for some time.

Thanks again

Dannemand likes this.
  4. adnaanusa

adnaanusa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Guyz -

I just recently got a Samsung Ativ 5 series ultrabook... but seems like the model has changed.. this thread mainly talks about NP530Uxx... but the one I got mentions the product as NP540U3C-A03UB.. is anyone aware what are the major differences between this model and the one for which this thread was created..

I only see my model at most sites.. 1 2 3 4

And even though I got this ultrabook during Black Friday... I haven't yet opened it.. and thought might have some better model available soon... but seems like the only option to get a better model is to spend more than what this model costed me... I was able to get this ultrabook for 498$'s+ tax... what was the cost of the ultrabook for the model in this thread and most people paid for it ?

I am torn between keeping this ultrabook or get a HP Spectre 13t-3000 Ultrabook being discussed here.... which seems like a future proof ultrabook..

the only things which I don't like in this samsung ultrabook are screen resolution, unable to put in SSD apart from main HDD and ofcourse the Processor being 3rd generation...

suggestions from previous Ativ 5 users.. so I can save money and just use this Samsung ultrabook and not buy the HP and look into uprgrading options sometime in future... :)

TIA .. sorry for lengthy post..

5. skor78

skor78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would never trade Samsung for HP, but maybe that's just me..
    Have you noticed the ultrabook you mention costs twice the price? Are they even comparable? To make a fair comparison please choose a series 9 ultrabook..
    I see no point in a bigger resolution screen on a Intel HD GPU, it will only reduce your laptop life span, and in 13" you can't really say you'll take full advantge of full HD resolution.. It's all fashion!

Honestly, only difference i see between your 540 and my NP530U3C-A05PT is a different screen casing, other than that, they're the same hardware and the same everything.

IMO, if you want gaming and performance, choose a 15.6" laptop and forget ultrabook fashion statements. If you want portability, be reasonable, expect functionality, not full hd screens, griller and expresso machine onboard included(if you get my irony)...

Choose well, cheers.

6. adnaanusa

adnaanusa Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Thanks skor78... for your valuable inputs...

Yes I am aware that HP ultrabook is twice costly and with over 1k spent on a ultrabook will add the need for extended warranty to it too.. making the cost go higher...

I was not making a comparison just stuck and not able to decide properly...

I totally agree.. I may not want a 1400p resolution on a ultrabook but 1080p.. would give more working space area on the ultrabook.. imo... I never saw a 1080p or 1400p resolution ultrabook.. will try to stop by some store tomm to check them out...

I want the extra resolution for more work space area.. nothing much...

Thanks for the comparison and providing the difference between 540 and 530U models of this samsung ultrabook...

hope I will decide wisely and save money so I can invest on a bigger monitor with 1400p resolution....which I have been long waiting to do so...

7. skor78

Reputations:
    I'd grab those spare $500 and buy a smart tv. 1080p is more than enough. Don't forget to consider you're using intel hd graphics. It IS important, not in work space load, but definitely important in flash player, movies and games load.

Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. adnaanusa

adnaanusa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks again.. yep.. the extra money is what is holding me off from getting HP.. which only has a new processor.. which could increase battery life... but even this sammy should give me around 5-6 hours of battery life right ? and that should be more than enough.. and I will live with 720p for one more year .. as the screen itself is so small.. and spend the extra cash somewhere else...

anyone had any issues with this samsung ultrabook..or anything I need to be wary of. TIA

9. tamer988

tamer988 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys
    I bought new 530U4C-S02ae with win 8 and hd 1tb and 24 express caching
    so I want to install win 7 without losing the win 8 original recovery and the advantage of fast booting
    and the Samsung website saying that if I installed win 7 I will lose win 8

10. skor78

Reputations:
    Sandy-bridge processors are 2.5/3yo, Ivy-bridge are little more than 1yo, i mean.. Is the Haswell really worth all that much, or might you get something newer and better already next year?..
    I'm quite happy with my Ivy laptops for now, and i see no real necessity of upgrading to Haswell, they both hang on ~6h battery life, and rare is the day i need even half that time without a plug. Let's be real, even most tablets don't have more than 7h battery time..

Cheers.

I think not. I know this didn't happened on reverse (win7 recovery partition and running win8), but you can't install or use Samsung recovery SW because it will use and overwrite the same partition.
    I think if you browse around the forum someone probably already gave an answer to this, but if you're really really afraid, why don't you simply create another partition and make a dual boot running win 7 and 8?
    On a side note, the fast boot is managed by Express Cache SW, not Win7,8 or Samsung SW.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.