NOW AVAILABLE - Updated ENVY 15, ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D

Discussion in 'HP' started by eafd, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Did you purchase a shiny new ENVY 15 and/or ENVY 17?

1. Yes, purchased the ENVY 15!

62.1%
  2. Yes, purchased the ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D!

39.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. independent1

independent1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For you people who are claiming missing keystrokes on battery power, what power settings do you have on? If you have the power saving option on, that might be the problem. I would stick to the "HP Recommended" power setting and see if the problem still persists.

2. devsk

devsk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Moose: what are your overall thoughts on the DV7? I think this is the route I might have to go because missing keys on the keyboard is driving me nuts. I am a developer and I can't afford to have missing keys. I just can't imagine how could they mess up their premium line of laptops like that...Its just doesn't cease to amaze me...:(

3. moooose

moooose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its a lovely machine. Aesthetically it's nicer than the envy (subjective though). I just like the look of an aluminium slab on my coffee table as opposed to a boring lump of black. I use the laptop for HD video editing, word processing and general muti media. keyboard is a million times better

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
    8GB memory for fast and efficient performance
    1TB Hard Drive for storing all your digital files
    43,9 cm (17,3") HD+ High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics
    Blu ray drive
    Battery life: 5-6 hours (meaning 3 and a bit).
    HP cool sense
    fingerprint security reader (HP simple pass)

Again, it's substantially cheaper than the Envy so all in all, it's perfect. It even has some features which the envy doesn't. If you've got to go for a replacement and want to stick with HP, then DV7 is the way to go. On a final note, believe it or not, the laptop speakers are even better than those on the Envy. Friends who have seen both machines are shocked that the premium hp model is beaten (for most issues) by one of their cheaper models.

4. fish1203

fish1203 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. fenris_12345

fenris_12345 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @DV7 consdierer.

I don't have an Envy, but I do have a brace of the latest DV7Ts I bought for my wife and daughter.

Both wife and I are coders, and have no issue with it in that regard. She does not like that it gets hot gaming, but
    it is a single fan solution. Dual fan game capable notebooks are usually not in the $800 range like the DV7T were when we got them (wait for coupons!).

I would reccomend the upgraded graphics (was like a $35 upgrade) at the time if you are used to any decent graphics at all.
    Your call on the HD screeen. My wife and daughter wanted the 1600 by 900 and its viewing angle is not the best, but is sufficient.

Other than that plopping in a SSD would payout well I think. But that goes for any laptop.

6. devsk

Reputations:
    I am not into gaming a lot. But I do need a full HD screen and a good keyboard for my coding use.

Does the DV7 get hot even while normally browsing or writing some documents etc. ? envy 17 has been very cool so far although the fan is always on (a small nuisance IMO).

7. thelittledog258012

thelittledog258012 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Suggest you try bellow setting to make keyboard register more sensitive:
    Input regedit from start>run
    go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
    Set keyboard delay value to"0", current is 1
    Set keyboard speed to "20", current is 31

8. devsk

Reputations:
    those won't help with missing keys. the keys don't appear whn I press on them. It has nothing to do with repeat rate.

9. thelittledog258012

thelittledog258012 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Whether you happen key miss under pure dos mode?
    if key register is right under pure dos mode, this may BIOS issue, if you still miss keys in pure dos, that most like keyboard ME limitation, as i know some person not used to this new keybard.

10. pepperonihead

pepperonihead Guest

Reputations:
    Hey folks. There is a lot of reading to be done here. This forum is big enough that there could be sub forums just for the envy line. Say a sub forum for the Envy 15 and one for the Envy 17 and one for the Envy 17 3D. That would make it easy for people to go directly to the forum of their choice, and not have to read so much other stuff. Just a suggestion that I am sure many of you have already thought about.

Any way here is my experience so far with ordering the Envy 17 3D model.
    My HP Pavilion lap top is dying. I use if for work primarily and to travel with. I started researching other lines and decided I wanted a high end multimedia notebook with light game playing ability. This brought me to the envy line. I researched it a lot and placed an order for the Envy 17 3D model directly from the HP website around February 2. The sales girl told me the only discounts available were the $250. off from the HP site. So I configured it from the base 1599. model. I didn't add any thing but the recovery discs. With tax and everything it came to $1768. Shipping was free.
    After finding this forum a few days later I discovered that there was a coupon available that I could have used to save a lot of mula! I got mad at myself for not researching and by that time my computer was already in production so I was not able to cancel it.
    The computer came and it was awesome! I set it up and played around with it. I watched Transformers Dark of the Moon 3D version on it and it was very cool.
    The next day I turned on the computer and the screen when moved would flicker, had lines, and what looked like snow covering the whole screen. it would stay that way for a moment then go back to normal. UH OH! I called HP service and spoke to a guy who was really cool. He said it was most likely a short and could be repaired, and I said no it can't and I am sending it back as I was withing the 21 day return period. After all it was a $1700 computer and it should work perfectly! So he said that is your option. He told me I could order another one over the phone with him so I could get it built while the other was being sent back. I told him about finding the coupon. He looked for a coupon and found the 15% off one which we added and it stacked with the $250 off from the web site. I configured the exact same model and it came to $1468 so I saved $300. So the new envy is being built and has a ship date of March 5. Hopefully it ships a little early like the last one did. I actually got the last one on the date that it was originally supposed to ship so I got it about one week earlier then I thought I would.
    I shipped back the original after printing out the fed ex label that was sent to my email. So shipping back was free.
    Although I thought the customer service was very good and the guy in the service department took really good care of me by giving me the coupon if there is one thing wrong with the next one it will go back for a full refund and I will start looking elsewhere for my computer. Based on what I have read here I am only giving them one more chance. The QC at HP needs to get a lot better!
    Incidentally, the girl I ordered from originally told me the Envy line was built in the US. I don't know where she got that info because, as you all know, it is built in China!
    I will let you know how the other one is and if it has any flaws I will send if back for a full refund and be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.