NOW AVAILABLE - Updated ENVY 15, ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D

Discussion in 'HP' started by eafd, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Did you purchase a shiny new ENVY 15 and/or ENVY 17?

1. Yes, purchased the ENVY 15!

62.1%
  2. Yes, purchased the ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D!

39.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheToad

TheToad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any photographers planning on using the Envy 17 as their main photo editing computer?

How is the screen (resolution, color. contrast, etc.)? Thanks.

2. luithbert

luithbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I am, but barely placed my order on Friday. Resolution should be nice, hopefully colors and contrast are good also.

3. c0mplex

c0mplex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I decided to use my Envy 15 one more time before I pack it up and ship it out for a replacement unit. Minor manufacturing flaws aside (that I detailed pages back in this thread), this laptop is amazing. The sound is fantastic for laptop speakers. You obviously aren't going to throw out your 5.1 sound system, but the speakers are sufficient enough to enjoy listening to music in a medium size room or to watch a movie on the gorgeous display.

As for the screen, the picture is extremely crisp and clear. The glossy panel does reflect a lot of light, but the brightness of the display mitigates any issue of the reflection making it hard to see what is on the screen. The viewing angles are also superb.

I still think that the clickpad requires a lot of force to click even after learning that the low middle left/right part of the clickpad is the area that requires the least amount of pressure. It's annoying enough for me to turn on tapping in the synaptics software options. Mouse movement is smooth enough for me, and I didn't even install the third party software that other members have posted.

The fan is audible and stays on from the moment I turn on the laptop, but it is by no means an annoyance. The room has to be dead quiet for the sound to be significantly noticeable. It's inconspicuous enough that I forgot to originally mention it in this post and am now editing it in.

It's sad that my unit came with a couple of manufacturing flaws, but the things HP did right with this laptop has me exchanging this laptop and eagerly awaiting my replacement.

4. steelroots7xe

steelroots7xe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If no one's posted it yet, I found a short "official" review for the Envy 15. Looks like Cnet did a little pre-holiday work to get this review out before Christmas eve.

It's quite interesting that Cnet Asia managed to get a unit before Cnet in the States did. Odd since Singapore is only expected to release them mid-to-late January (according to other forum members). They've got a review you can check out here.

By the way, click ".. Expand full review" to see the entire article. From this first review, it seems like the only negative is the design which the Cnet correspondent says is "derivative of the MacBook Pro."

I do hope that more reviews come out the next few days.

5. Deihmos

Deihmos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows software raid is completely useless for this. For one you cannot install windows to it.

6. Deihmos

Deihmos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't waste your time. Think about it. How are you going to convert the drive your are booting from into raid drives? There must be an option in the bios for us to be able to install windows on raid. I really thought this laptop had raid support like the previous models. It is really disappointing.

7. Seferio

Seferio Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't get ATI Tray Tools to detect the GPU, so I guess we'll have to wait for something else to overclock the GPU in the Envy 15.

8. SoulMisaki

SoulMisaki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there any way to get the clickpad to only read swipes and movement from above the button-line?

9. thelittledog258012

thelittledog258012 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can try F5+ UP/Down Arrow key to dim or ligher your kb backlight level. Enjoy your Envy!

10. maximum360

maximum360 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the consensus on battery life? I'm going to do another test but I'm getting maybe 3.5 hrs with HP recommended backlight/power settings with mostly web browsing.

I'll check again after a full charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.