1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NOW AVAILABLE - Updated ENVY 15, ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by eafd, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Did you purchase a shiny new ENVY 15 and/or ENVY 17?

1. Yes, purchased the ENVY 15!

62.1%
  2. Yes, purchased the ENVY 17 / ENVY 17 3D!

39.3%
  1. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lets discuss this memorable event, for the first time we will have laptop with worthy screen.

I just don't understand what is "1GB AMD Radeon discrete graphics with GDDR5" cause i'm waiting for smth, at least, like ati6770 or better.

2. b5s4

b5s4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it confirmed that the envy 15 has an ips display?

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was looking at the Samsung Series 7 as it seems to be right in the same niche as the Envy. I found a lot of people disappointed with the Series 7, and even more people confused by the product, which seem to have different specs depending on where you bought it even though it was advertised to be the same.

Samsung to me has no credit -- not bad credit, for I've never had a bad experience with them (and know some smart people who work there) but I haven't had any experience with their PCs and don't know many people who have outside of this board. If everybody who had a Series 7 was in love then I'd have reconsidered but I'm glad I stuck with HP ... though, of course, this is the HP Envy thread, so you're likely to find some Samsung fans over on that board who will disagree!

4. muerteman

muerteman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was in the position alot of you are and I'm getting the samsung. Here are my reasons. Time portability and lack of preinstalled bloat and cheaper price. The samsung is smaller and lighter. It will be easy for me to get to and from class. I can also get the samsung now instead of waiting for the hp. Finally the windows store is doing 25% off instores so the Sammy was cheaper then the hp I specced The windows store also means that the computer won't have preinstalled junk. The screen I can live with because any seriously long computing sessions I can hook up my monitor . Additionally I think the battery life of the samsung is better. Good luck to others deciding.
    Edit for spelling.
    Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

5. Aquitaine

Reputations:
    Makes sense - if those were my priorities I'd go with the Samsung as well. Pre-installed bloat doesn't affect me as I wipe any computer I buy, but 25% of the Series 7 is a good deal.

I think the battery life is comparable, but that's going to depend on the Envy actually doing what HP says it will do, so Samsung may certainly pull ahead there.

6. muerteman

muerteman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea plus the 6750m can handle all the gaming I think I'll want. Good luck with your envy. I will be reading here to see how it turns out.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

7. CopticWalad

CopticWalad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, so I had to join this site cause this seems like such a great community. I have so many questions on this amazing laptop and can give my own insight. I put in my order and saved $800 + $75 from FW. If you guys want even more cash back I recommend using FatWallet to get a full 5% back.. so I have another $75 check coming back to me in 2 months or so.

Pros of this laptop are a given, it's amazing and I now see that HP updated the Envy 17 3D website to have the proper pictures and product demo.

Cons that I see would be the lack of expresscard (possible Thunderbolt next year? eSata expansion for those that need it), Magnetic Slice Battery doesn't seem like it will come back. No eSata for those of us that put the time into 3Gbps eSata storage.

Overall it's amazing but some more info would be nice if anyone knows any of the following:
    Sata III support?
    RAID Support? (which I doubt)
    Anyone have experience with mSATA? are they 1.8"? Some research shows that it would be slower and even opting to buy and install one doesn't seem like a good choice because of lack of good ratings/storage sizes. Also it looks like it would install in some sort of miniPCI slot but may require its own adapter. Any clarification is appreciated.
    Plus very curious as to whether we would have to buy a hard drive bracket to install our own SSD of choice (if buying with only 1 HD). I know I did for my 5 yr old dv9t (which is currently the dv7t today), and it was pricey from the HP Parts Store and unavailable elsewhere.
    It seemed like this laptop was going to have a 9 Cell Battery option.. but perhaps it will come later? I've been seeing numbers from 5 hours to 9 hours on this refresh laptop.. I'll be happy if I truly get a full 5 hours but it's not necessary.

As for graphics.. we all obviously want the best out there for potential gaming but I think we're going to get an awesome gfx card considering the slim form factor and design of the HP Envy. It is a bit disappointing that the 27nm didn't happen at least. If we want true gaming without increasing size/weight then I think HP really needs to consider external graphics cards like this Sony or perhaps Thunderbolt might the answer (which will come out next year because Apple's rights to it expire at the end of this year) considering some manufacturers are making a desktop graphics card dock that connects with thunderbolt.

8. Rubenstein

Rubenstein Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, all we know says no. Why are you writing this?

9. Aquitaine

Reputations:
    The previous Envy 15 had RAID support (if you got two SSDs, they came by default in RAID 0).

I think they ditched the Slice because the previous Envy 15 only got 2-3 hours on the 6-cell it came with as it had first-gen i5/i7 and no switchable graphics - if the new batch can do 6-7 on one battery then there really isn't much point in a slice battery, especially when the Slice added 2-3 pounds and made a sleek laptop into a clunker.

USB3 is probably beating eSATA with a lot of vendors so that doesn't surprise me.

10. cwfnetman

cwfnetman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just checked and the NBK3573 code is still working on the customizable Envy 17 3D. I spec'ed out a 17" 3D with the following:
    • Win 7 64-bit Professional
    • O/S Recovery media discs
    • Entry-level i7 CPU (2670QM - 2.2GHz)
    • 8GB 1333MHz ram
    • 750GB single hard drive
    • MS Office 2010 Home & Student edition
    • Everything else default, no extended care pack warranty.

That came to 2066.99 retail, the coupon gave 682.11 discount for a total of 1384.88 before tax, and with free ground shipping. If you delete the MS Office and downgrade the OS to Home Premium without recovery media, that that gives 1239.49 after the coupon is applied. That's a pretty good deal for a laptop of this caliber. :yes:

11. derpderp

derpderp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, its clear the envy 17 has the 7690.
    Look at HP benches... the envy 15 craps itself compared to the 17...
    No need to be a rocket scientist to guess that those two laptops DON'T have the same graphic card (same ship yes, but DDR no) and that translates to 30% performance loss if not more. This and HP not giving the full name of the card for the envy 15 = sure buttrape.
    But I know HP is also perfectly capable of having replaced the 7670 of their benches for a 7690 at the last minute for the envy 15.
    You never know when it's HP.

12. SoulMisaki

SoulMisaki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have my fingers crossed that it is still working in 5 hours - I NEED that discount, or I'll be paying $100+ more..

13. Aquitaine

Reputations:
    I don't know about 30% - if I recall, the 5830 was panned by some people for having DDR3 vs. DDR5 but the difference between it and the 5850 was not 30%. Like I say, the 5830 will run Skyrim on High, and that's two years old.

The 17 has always had a beefier card than the 15 and there's no reason to think it would be otherwise in this case. Maybe if they ditched the DVD drive on the new 15 they could fit a bigger chip in there, but all the 15" laptops out there with really nice GPUs are also bricks - that's why the Envy 15 is popular. I ordered a 17 but I'd be happy with a 15 as well. I just liked the two HD bays in the 17 - my 15 has two G2 160 GB SSDs while now I can have one 300 GB SSD and a 1 TB HD. Pretty nice.

14. cwfnetman

cwfnetman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dunno about 6gbps sata-III, but I think the previous generation used the HM67 chipset, which can support sata-III, so I would presume this new version probably at least has chipset support for it, whether or not the rest of the mobo and bios supports it, i'm not sure.

RAID 0 & 1 support is supposed to be there, and has been there in past Envys.

15. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interesting article on the new AMD 7000 series mobile cards. Looks like another re-badge of the 5000 series. The 2nd Gen Envy 17 had the 6850 which was a re-badge of the 5850. New 3rd Gen will get the 7600 series card which is pretty much the same, with maybe higher clocks. AMD sets clock speeds and normally HP throttles them back

AnandTech - Introducing AMD?s Radeon 7000M and NVIDIA?s GeForce 600M Mobile GPUs

16. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the time being, I expect the 3rd Gen Envy to have the same motherboard as the 2nd Gen SB. Only difference will be the video system, which will contain 7600M series vs the 6850 (pretty much another re-adge of the 5850)...

HM67 chipset IS SATA III and RAID 0 is an option, should you choose a two drive configuration. If you get the SSD / HDD combo...drives are separate, as they should be.

Read more about the new AMD 7xxx series mobile chips in my post above

17. franklyshankly

franklyshankly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This link has been posted a few times already.

We still have no idea about clock speeds, or what type of ram will be in whatever 76xx ends up shipping in the Envy 15 and 17, respectively. Those factors could make a lot of difference at this point.

18. fiver5

fiver5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just pulled the trigger on the 173d.

I don't know why, but I did.

19. TylerW

TylerW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Considering pulling the trigger on the Envy 15...

How much difference am I going to see between the i5-2430M and the i7-2670M in these two areas: battery life and speed?

I will be using this laptop for Adobe CS5 (Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator, Dreamweaver), Office (Excel, Powerpoint), and then just the basics (email, web, IM).

20. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i was thinking about switching my order from the 17 3D to the 17 as it would be about 100 cheaper after coupon, money i could use toward an SSD. but then i realized the 17 doesnt offer bluray as standard, which is a $75 addition.

i really dont need the 3D, but i have a slight worry that the screen wont be of the same quality as the 17.