1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY 17-32XX Intel Ivy Bridge (AMD 7850M)

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by justinkw1, May 8, 2012.

1. RogueTitan7

RogueTitan7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone who can't use their Intel HD 4000 by switchable graphics options please call 1-877-917-4380 Ex. 93 and report it. The more people that report it to this HP department the sooner we all will be able to utilize our integrated Intel graphics card and get our Wireless Display (WiDi) working and save our battery life. Just trying to help. Just got my Envy 17 3D 3200 today and cannot believe that HP has not come up with a fix. Good Luck Everyone

2. biso

biso Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) USB ports and headphone jacks (make sure they are not crooked and work perfectly)
    2) How does the bottom shell meet the top shell? Does the bottom shell stick out or does it sit flush with the top shell?
    3) Do keys squeak, does the keyboard flex?
    4) Does the ODD retain dvds inside?
    5) Any dents?

That's pretty much it :)

3. evry1lovej

evry1lovej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it better to use Intel hd graphic card or the and radeon 7850m? How many I make my laptop run faster and clue? For gaming performance withoit it overheating my computer?

4. redmango

redmango Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any word if the newmodeus Envy 17 3xxx drive caddy will work for the new Envy 17 32xx?

5. munnarg

munnarg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm that it does work. The Envy comes with a second SATA cable already installed though :).

6. RogueTitan7

Reputations:
    I don't want to state a fact; However, just got off the phone with HP Concierge and was informed that HP has chosen not to support WiDi or the Integrated HD 4000 Intel graphics card on all HP Envy 17 3D models. This is really upsetting to me that I have to sacrifice 3D for the Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card and WiDi features.

7. lordbaldric

lordbaldric Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Going by the the 7970M, having Enduro working hurts that card's performance even when the integrated graphics isn't in use. Oviously it shouldn't do this, but AMD obviously screwed up somewhere.

8. bgredz

bgredz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If that is the case, you can save yourself $30 and use double sided tape (if you plan on installing an ssd). I switched out my hard drive with an ssd temporarily to confirm the sata speeds. When installing the ssd, I noticed that some good double sided tape would work quite well for a permanent install.

For those who don't know, I confirmed with my crucial m4 that the first hard drive port is sata iii and the second port is sata ii. I did not confirm the msata port but someone else in the forum said it was sata iii.

9. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

For gaming .. use the 7850m.. Your laptop should not over heat.

10. RogueTitan7

Reputations:
    There is still hope on using the integrated power saving Intel 4000 HD graphics card. Please call HP's resolution department and demand a fix. 877-917-4380 extension 93
    HP's engineers currently don't think it is important to fix for its customers; however, we need them to be forced to do their job apparently. Please pass this along across the internet and friends for everyone sake.
    HP's engineers next major meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 28th concerning this issue, there is still time.
    Best Regards

[​IMG]

11. redmango

redmango Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.

12. evry1lovej

evry1lovej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How would I switch it to 7850m?

13. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I replied to you earlier how to do this. You go into the settings and set what card you want to run which programs. I think you might want to read up on your laptop a bit to help you understand it.

14. RobotsRock

RobotsRock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated to the F.06 bios and still have the same issue with the keyboard. Can anyone replicate the issue? Easy way to test is type the letters 'a s d f' quickly in a random order:

sda6ffad6fasf6sa6fdsafdsafasd6fdsafdasfasd6f

Notice the number '6' that was introduced.

Regarding the build quality, there is a slight dent on mine in the front that makes it mis-aligned from the bottom. This is my 3rd Envy 17 in the past two months, and every single one has build quality problems. I wonder if anyone else has a defective drive like myself for the Envy 17 3200 series, as do other Envy 15 owners:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/672438-envy-15-32xx-disc-will-not-eject.html

My case manager has agreed to send me a 4th Envy...crossing my fingers that won't have defects...

15. Kopes

Kopes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I type fast also I get a 6 in there randomly, but why would you ever be typing those letters that fast anyways?

16. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah i get ghosting too but i dont ever see a time wher ei would be typing those letters all at the same time that fast :p

17. adamdoom89

adamdoom89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone who has the HP envy 17 3200 Notebook. Please look at the bottom edge of the screen on both sides and tell me if it's normal for the screen to be sticking out. If you put your fingers on the bottom edge then you will be able to feel it.

18. RobotsRock

RobotsRock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    These are all the sequences from the other forum. I do type rather quickly and first observed the numbers coming up 5-10x a day when chatting with friends. Rather annoying for a premium laptop for something as simple as a keyboard.

19. adamdoom89

adamdoom89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    asdasdasdasdasdasdasdsdadarsdsdasdasdsdasadsadsadasdasadsadsadasdasdasadsadsasdadasadsadsadsa... I see no 6s

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf again no 6s

20. RogueTitan7

Reputations:
    My screen sticks out on both sides on the bottom as well, along with numbers coming up when typing fast, good luck getting a perfect Envy PC