November 17 is the day we get to see apple "chipped" macs.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's definitely not looking like a normal case of you just have low physical RAM, considering this wasn't an issue till recently (compared with previously on Intel Macs). 8GB RAM is merely aggravating the OS swap bug with earlier symptoms, rather than it being the main cause. It's apparently also affecting Intel Macs (remains to be verified) according to newer reports and even those with RAM as high as 32GB. Thankfully my 1.25 year old MBP16 w/2TB SSD is still showing 100% with 18TB written.

It highly likely the OS is swapping unnecessarily rather than any bug on individual apps. If the said bug is calling for large swathes memory but not using it, it would still trigger more swapping at which point of course the low RAM models would be affected earlier. And yet poor MS gets so much flak for code quality lol. Catalina crashed regularly in the early days before the 2nd-3d point update due to a sleep bug, and things seemed good on BigSur and now this. I will admit for all the minor bugs & glitches W10 has been stable at the core and I don't recall any such major issues at least from my use on my Latitudes and Precisions.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Papusan, jclausius and kojack like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have found the same with my dell and acers running windows 10. Rock solid. Mobile connect is causing me grief from the last update. As I said, Apple is 100 percent smoke and mirrors, like here is this thing....no no don't look over there at that, that's not what you need to see only this over here. (that analogy is better in person with the actions, ha ha). But you get what I am saying. No one talks about the unstable, stale OS that MacOS has become. It is essentially the same since 2006. Change only the icons and wallpaper.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was originally going to say that Rosetta2 might also be a variable in play depending on what apps these users are running, but if you're saying ppl are reporting problems on newer x86 based Macs, then it's gotta be something in macOS 11 itself... And I'm assuming everyone reporting this is using Big Sur.

32GB is a somewhat large memory set to be working with (assuming normal, light browsing, word processing, and simple spreadsheet) unless these people are running image rendering, movie creation, apps with large data sets or perhaps tons and tons of smaller apps causing memory to be switched out on context switches between processes.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Aivxtla and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    The 2021 MacBook Pro 16 may not be the performance upgrade we expect from Apple notebookcheck.net | Today

According to a new report, the next MacBook Pro 16 will feature an Apple M1 chip, not a more powerful next-generation model.

Minor changes could include a switch to a flat design and the return of legacy ports though, along with slimmer display bezels for the new model.

It seems Apple will take same turnaround as Dell did with their high end Aw gamingbooks. Re-introduce smart card reader as a must have feature, LOOL

[​IMG]

Great idea... First remove it then add it in as a nice new feature for new models:vbbiggrin: Maybe it will be removed again for the 2023 models?:p

GrandesBollas likes this.
  5. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What really gets my goat is that Apple and their fanboys are going crazy over external/appearance tweaks. It will look nicer. It will be thinner. The battery will last longer. It will be the greatest laptop of 2021.

Once you get under marketing veil, any wise consumer will see that Apple's vision of an iPhone-Mac is no different than the overpriced BGA junk being spawned by some celestial random number generator. $3k for a 16" MBP with Apple Silicon. That's three Legion 5s - a computer I don't care how it looks or that it won't last more than a year with use.

ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's the only thing that matters for most apple users. How it looks. I watched one video where a creator was on macbook, switched to a windows pc, decreased his rip times by half. it was like 13 mins for a 40 min fat cut on the mac and like 4 min 30 sec on the windows machine. The keyboard was better, the screen was better, the battery life was better....but since the programs didn't "tornado" when he closed them, he went back to mac. FACEPALM.

jclausius likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Gaming on the Mac is getting worse every year - time for a paradigm shift notebookcheck.com

Macs have never been the first choice for gaming enthusiasts, but the situation for Mac users has deteriorated significantly in recent years. Apple seems to have given up gaming on the Mac - but there is at least a glimmer of hope.

Read the last sentence in the Commentary Article... " because it could take a few years before complex games on ARM Macs work properly"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    jclausius and GrandesBollas like this.
  8. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

This is the future Apple has for Apple gaming.

Papusan likes this.
  9. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
  10. GrandesBollas

Reputations: