November 17 is the day we get to see apple "chipped" macs.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Oct 28, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are a brave soul. what version of android are you running?

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My guess is it's a bug causing excessive and unnecessary swapping of RAM contents to disk rather than anything to do with entry records. If it were a memory leak on the other hand it would show full RAM usage which it seems is not the case.

Papusan and jclausius like this.
  3. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Ugg i double posted by accident...

To play devils advocate here as someone who uses both platforms (Android/iOS), and at one time despised iPhones:, the maxed out S21 Ultra is in the $1.3-1.4K+ range similar to the $1.4K maxed out 12 Pro. Also it's not like there aren't deals on both platforms, I got my iPhone 8 Plus as a buy 1 get $700 Visa credit for a second hidden deal from T-Mobile (not the standard credits every bill with an extra line one)

As someone who exclusively had Android devices for a long time since their debut (My first iOS device being the 7 Plus), I will say timely updates and years of software support outside of Google's own branded devices were generally a problem for a very long time which Google has only recently managed to somewhat mitigate with pressure on OEMS and changes to make it easier to have base updates inspite of OEMs UI customizations and changes. As for my old Nexus 5, it was a decent device but when it faced issues Google directed me to LG since I didn't buy it directly from the Googe store and resulting after sales service was terrible. Apple for a minor signal issue (which actually ended up being my carrier having profile provisioning issue) I walked in and got a replacement after making an appointment. As for Samsung I avoided them due Touchwiz and glitchy UI. Hardware wise the LG G2 and HTC Butterfly were by far my favorites smooth and had great battery life. Overall in regards to length of software support, after sales care and in regards value deprecation of the product for resales, in my experience Apple has can edge. Even Google at times seems to give certain feature tests to iOS app variants ahead, and some of the apps I use on both platforms some seemed to have more effort put in on iOS versions. Lastly realtime audio latency among others was another issue that Android didn't fix for a long time, granted its more of niche thing.

As to negatives on iOS yeah I dislike the inability side load apps without resigning them every 7 days... and till recently the inability to change default apps to third party ones which they now slow seem to be backing off from. And yeah they can at times screwup up updates too but are generally faster at fixing them. I'm sure there are others but that's all that's on my mind right now, and some of you already have some of that covered in your posts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    im terrible with phones dont even know how to check lol

@Aivxtla I just don't feel these phone should worth that much at all. the amount of materials involved to build this does not justify it. new tech cost should not push it this high.

Papusan and Aivxtla like this.
  5. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Oh I don't disagree with you at all, I'm on the same page. Just pointing out prices can be similar on both platforms depending on which Android phone you buy. I definitely think prices are going out of hand from the early days where maxed out high end phones were sub $1K. These days mid/low end phones can be pretty smooth and tick most boxes, without compromising too much on user experience. At the same time wanting high end even when you don't need it is no different than what people do with maxed out PCs with Threadrippers or with stuff like Optane drives or MLC/SLC SSDs... when they probably don't need it for their usage. But it's human nature to to call out people in regards to one thing in a market area and then not realize we may be doing the something similar in regards to something else. I'm definitely guilty of that myself lol.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have been in the mobile phone game since the beginning of cellular technologies. I worked at a phone store in 2000-2003. the high end phone was either a classic black and white screen black berry or the motorola 270 here in canada. Both were 599.99 and we thought that was crazy. You could walk in and walk out with a v120 motorola for 0.00 down, no taxes up front and only 10 dollars a month on your bill. Now, we have to pay tax on the device which in my case was 165.00 up front, and have 42.00 extra per month on my bill to subsidize it. Prices of the phones are gone wacky.

Papusan and Aivxtla like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you do anything personal on your phone, I would highly suggest buying a cheap new phone so you have at least security updates. Plus you can use new apps that are not available on your phone. The samsung a21 would be a perfect cheap device.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I do any banking and stuff on computer. on phone, at the most only order food with credit card thats about it.

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It could be a bug OR just that 8GB/16GB isn't big enough, and the new M1 Macs have to page in/out of virtual memory (on the SSD) to compensate for the large set of allocated memory that is used by whatever apps these chaps have used, but are not necessarily running at the time of any screen grab.

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will stick to my windows intel machines. Thanks. the XPS is faster in ripping 4k videos anyways. Mainly what I will be doing, and editing photos. So, my laptop now is acceptable in all my creative work, besides editing 4k videos. I am building a new video editing rig for that. While we are on the road, we can use iphone videos and pop up some on our social media sites using that, and when we get back, rip some good 4k footage with the desktop beast.