November 17 is the day we get to see apple "chipped" macs.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Oct 28, 2020.

1. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

From a reputable reviewer. Skylake, Zen 3 and M1 compared, and Skylake is properly thrashed by M1 which uses way less power.

Not that this is big news, they are 2015 cores which are antique junk at this point.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why are they comparing skylake? that's like 9th generation intel. Love that marketing. how about compare a new 11th gen intel chip to the M1.

and also, screw synthetic benchmarks anyways. Lets toss some 4k video rendering at it and see what happens. Like they did with the xps 15 and macbook pro 16. XPS was WAY faster at encoding and rendering than the macbook pro.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Skylake was 6th-gen.

4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't catch the actual model, thanks for the clarification. Regardless, still eerie how the reviews are so similar.

I also wonder what's changed between Geekbench 5.1 vs. Geekbench 5. It's not truly apples to apples, so this comparison may be hogwash. But here are numbers from Notebook Check Review of XPS 9310 vs the Tech Chap video:

[TechChap] Macbook Pro M1 - Single Core (GB 5) : 1267
    [TechChap] Macbook Pro M1 - Multi Core (GB 5) : 5874

[NBC] XPS 9310 - Single Core (GB 5.1) : 1547
    [NBC] XPS 9310 - Single Core (GB 5.1) : 5682

If anyone finds a review where the M1 is tested with Geekbench 5.1 OR XPS 9310 is tested on Geekbench 5, please post here since these numbers don't necessarily point to a good analysis.

Sorry for the editorializing. I should've disclosed that as opinion BGA is crappy to begin with. :D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  5. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Read the review...Tiger Lake (Willow Cove cores) are in there as well, and also lose. I raise Skylake as it's what most people on this forum (and TBH, most of the market still) would be using.

Skylake is 6th-10th (not including some of the 10th gen U and Y processors).

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Judging by that, the xps 13 is a burner. Considering the M1 is a chip sent by god to destroy all computerdom. Xps beats it in single core usage, and in multicore is less than 200 "points" behind. Un noticeable in actual usage. Way to go dell / intel.

Furthermore the xps gets 13 hrs of battery life if using non 4K version, whereas Marcus brownlee could only muster 10 solid hours from his m1 MacBook Air. Apple marketing to their lemmings is all the event specs were. No real numbers to show the truth. I’m stuck with my iPhone for now, but it’s gone sooner than later

And the acer that blows the doors off the mjesus chip for battery life.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/series/spin7

Well, after being in the wild for a week or so, turns out that the Apple reality distortion field is in full effect with the new Mjesus chipped macs. Apple crowed about every piece of software being able to run faster on their new chips than intel chipped macs and pc's. Well....Que Maury....

[​IMG]

Here is the article relating to the tests......

Too good to be true? Plenty of software not compatible with Apple M1 laptops - MSPoweruser

So, Apple has claimed crazy speed increases....that was a lie. They claimed crazy battery life.....that was a lie. They claimed all software will work on day one.....that was a lie. Love that marketing and the lemmings drink the Kool-aid right up.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    jclausius likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Why Apple M1 Single “Core” Comparisons Are Fundamentally Flawed (With Benchmarks)

I have something pretty exciting for our readers today; something that almost everyone appears to have missed in the clamor for Apple M1 benchmark comparisons. What if I told you that pretty much all of the single-core benchmark comparisons between the Apple M1 and modern x86 processors you see online are fundamentally flawed (assuming the intent is to see which core is the fastest)? Because you see, most single "core" benchmarks out there do not fully saturate a modern x86 core - but they likely do saturate the M1.

[​IMG]

jclausius and GrandesBollas like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What what what? You mean to tell me that Apple's Mjesus chip does not dominate EVERY benchmark vs. Every other chip?

[​IMG]

jclausius likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Tested: How Apple's M1 chip performs against Intel 11th-gen and AMD Ryzen 4000 pcworld.com | Today

Conclusion
    In today’s technology circles, many people have retreated into their corners, with irrational fans choosing to always cheer for their team and give no quarter to competitors—even if the other team won. That shouldn’t be any rational person’s perspective because ultimately, these are just companies looking to take your money. It’s also not classy.

jclausius and Aivxtla like this.
  10. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While I’ve stated before I definitely don’t agree with how Apple portrayed M1 almost as if having superiority in a blanket fashion, it’s still a pretty good chip after having read AnandTech and a few others including the review posted above, especially considering power draw as it’s actually replacing Intel’s U and M series in its laptop lineup, plus not to mention the decent scores despite the Rosetta hit. Also nice that at certain tasks it can also compete with desktop CPUs. Will be interesting to see how well the M1X or whatever’s the higher end CPU model that will come in the MBP 16 will perform.

With AMD back on track and more companies also looking at ARM alternatives (ie Ampere), Intel really has a fight on hits hand their glory days of near monopoly in market share (Desktops/Laptops/Servers) are likely coming to an end. Intel invested in SiFive an Open source RISC-V CPU designer so looks like they are also trying to adapt which is good. MS also maybe working on its own ARM CPU implementation. Might be an exciting coming decade overall in terms of pace of innovation/performance/pricing or so I hope/expect.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    jclausius likes this.