November 17 is the day we get to see apple "chipped" macs.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even for Mac enthuisiasts It's probably best to wait a generation or so, because it will take time for a lot of developers to switch to native apps from x86 ports by which time a more mature iteration will be out. While I do see ARM and or RISC-V doing well in the long run as competition for x86, yeah Apple clearly topped Intel this year by far for skewed and nonsensical claims lol. Clearly the M1 is not at a level to replace x86 on the higher end models yet as they replaced only their lower end models with Apple Silicon, as the higher end 4 port 13" Pro is still on x86, seems mostly like a replacement for the U series Intel chips. Looking at some of the comparators used in tests one was a Core i3 from like 2 years ago, I mean its nice that its able to compete even against that x86 chip but the graphs and claims were definitely absurd. It still could be a decent CPU especially considering the low wattage and I can see it beating a mobile i9 in certain video encode stuff and certain benchmarks that can be accelerated due to the extra logic built into these chips but to give a blanket superiority statement was quite irritating without even mentioning on stage what their comparators even were.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh I know....I'm just saying what apple said two months ago compared to what they said at the one more thing event.

jclausius and custom90gt like this.
  3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The author sounds pretty butthurt for no reason. Apple makes better CPUs and has for a while. Skylake is basically antique at this point and their 10nm cores seem to have limited availability. The less reliant you are on Intel the better. Everyone including even AMD are dunking on them.

4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes AMD is gaining at intel's expense, but I'm confused about your statement. Apple hasn't made CPUs for their computers for about 15 years.

One cannot really compare SoC ARM based CPUs they made for phones/ipads to a desktop / workstation CPU, totally different market and design purpose.

Papusan likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, the author is calling apple on their marketing bull.

jclausius likes this.
  6. jclausius

Reputations:
    "MacBook Air with Apple’s own M1 chip is faster and has better battery life than Intel-based predecessors"

- Apple made a good decision to ditch Intel and develop its own chips for its Mac computers.

- ...it’s faster and offers better battery life than what equivalent Intel models offered.

- It said it’s faster than 98% of the laptops sold in the last year (which may be true, given that many are low-cost Chromebooks and entry-level Windows computers).

- It feels like a fast laptop,...

- The biggest change you might notice on first glance is the screen, which is now just as colorful as the one on Apple’s more expensive MacBook Pro laptops.

- I found the new MacBook Air to be twice as fast as the Intel-based equivalent model at some tasks and more than three times as fast at others.

- It’s really quiet, too, since there’s no fan inside to kick on while you’re in the middle of work. But that comes at a cost: the bottom gets pretty hot.

- The chip change does not break any old apps -- at least the ones I use -- you can still run the ones that were designed for older Macs

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/apple-macbook-air-with-m1-review-faster-than-intel.html

Well that's certainly a different take. Notice the lack of numbers on any benches, timings for on "feels like a fast laptop...", etc.

My guess is the author isn't on the forums at NBR, knows what tools to use to bench, what apps ppl want/use on a Mac (lack of Photoshop being #1 problem), etc., etc., etc.

[EDIT] Added this from an article Papu posted ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...pple-chipped-macs.834481/page-4#post-11059220 ), "Unlike Geekbench, which runs multiple algorithms and then takes a geomean (which can skew results if algorithm-specific optimizations are present on an architecture), Cinebench measures the brute force power of a processor and is the go-to benchmark for most enthusiasts when it comes to processors. "

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Impressive start for M1 silicon.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel And AMD x86 Mobility CPUs Destroy Apple’s M1 In Cinebench R23 Benchmark Results wccftech.com | Today

Apple recently made some marketing claims using a 5nm processor against a 4-year old architecture and we were waiting for benchmarks to appear that we can use to do some solid comparisons. Earlier today, the single-core and multi-core scores in the latest Cinebench R23 have leaked out and boy is it a different story than the one Apple used in its announcement. The Apple M1 is a very impressive chip - but the fastest in mobility CPUs it is not - not by a long shot.

kojack and jclausius like this.
  9. jclausius

Reputations:
    This is going to seem weird, but is there some plagiarism going on? I find it really strange how two Apple M1 reviews each cover almost the SAME exact stuff and in almost the same order.

- Cover the M1's lower power consumption; longer battery life.
    - Use Geekbench for testing vs intel Macbook (but @saturnotaku's review does through in a crappy 13" Dell)
    - Tests using Tomb Raider 2
    - Tests editing a video using Final Cut
    - Mentions legacy apps they try "seem to work" and won't break using the x86 emulator, Rosetta 2. But mention didn't try them all, but just couldn't find one that didn't break that they tried.
    - Runs iPhone / iPad apps
    - Quiet or no fan noise

I must have retrieved my pointed, tinfoil hat from the closet, but it seems either one of these guys copied off the other, or their both receiving marching orders on what to use for a review at from a higher power.

Papusan likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The video I posted is for the MacBook Pro 13, the CNBC article is talking about the MacBook Air. Also, the XPS 13 referenced in the video is the brand-new 11th-gen model. Hardly "crappy."