November 17 is the day we get to see apple "chipped" macs.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Oct 28, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The date we get to see what apple has up their sleeve when it comes to apple silicon is Nov 17. I am very curious if they are going to go all in and FINALLY bring touchscreen to mac. It's long overdue. Everything in Big Sur has aligned with them moving to touch and their argument about it taking sales from it's other devices is out the window now with ipad pro and air both having touchpad keyboard support. I think 2020/2021 is the year/s for touchscreen to finally come to mac.

A 2 in 1 form factor macbook pro with pencil support and 27" imac with "easel" stand for folding to create and draw will be both very very tempting.

I was off by one week. November 10th. The invites went out today. I am very curious to see if they finally man up and make touchscreen macs etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I saw that they scheduled something last night for Nov 10th... I agree it will be interesting to see what the decided to do with their own engineered silicon.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From early leaks the same laptop with new processors. BORING!

4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Physically, the ARM Macbooks will look the same. What is interesting is the return of the small 13" Macbook. Imagine an iPad sized device capable of running desktop applications; full trackpad support, etc. Imagine a Macbook comparable in price to the iPad. The device would go from being primarily a consumption device to a production device. Only question in my mind would be why would Apple consider cannibalizing sales of its successful SKUs - the iPad.

jclausius likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is the reason why I still believe we won't see touchscreens on these new Macs, especially if their pricing comes in anywhere close to an iPad Pro. That being said, I'm less confident in this prediction than I was, say six months ago.

Aivxtla and jclausius like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A 2 in 1 and surface studio type imac won't cannibalize any ipad sales. I have a 2 in 1 computer and an ipad. Two extremely different use cases. I'm typing this on my iPad, I would not use my 2 in 1 in tablet mode on the couch here having a whisky and relaxing.

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Perhaps so, but others may feel differently or may not have the wherewithal to get both and will make the best of what they have.

jclausius likes this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Alright, I've deleted the back and forth stuff (may fault for dragging it out for so long when things were not going anywhere). That will be the end of it or I'll just close the thread. If you feel I did so wrongly, please feel free to PM me.

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't get into the details, but I guess 5nm ARM chips is about the only thing that is new. Not sure there's much else newsworthy other than that

"Apple is breaking a 15-year partnership with Intel on its Macs — here’s why"

- Apple announced three new Mac computers on Tuesday: a MacBook Air, a 13-inch MacBook Pro, and a Mac Mini. They essentially look the same as their predecessors.

- Now they’re powered by Apple’s M1 chip instead of Intel processors.

- ...ARM was originally designed for mobile devices, and chips built with ARM designs are consistently more efficient, leading to longer battery life. On a laptop, that could mean several extra hours away from the plug.

- Apple proudly said on Tuesday that the M1 chip in the new Macs uses 5-nanometer transistors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/why...year-partnership-with-intel-on-its-macs-.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Aaaand, no touchscreen Macs with this first wave of Apple silicon.

jclausius and Aivxtla like this.