Nothing really seems practical

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Peon, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Every laptop I've looked at is lacking in some way - too big and heavy, too weak, too expensive, unbalanced CPU vs GPU, soldered RAM and too little of it, etc. etc. I'm struggling even in deciding if I should keep looking for some ideal (and seemingly nonexistent) laptop or just settle for something decent and cheap for now and upgrade more often with the money saved.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, VMs, typical productivity stuff. Looking for VT-d and TSX-NI in particular.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Whatever catches my attention on Steam. In other words, everything from Stardew Valley to AAA titles.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows and Linux.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte preferred, IPS or better panel required. Preferably standard gamut so I can keep using my i1D2.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not particularly

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1 TB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Between now and the end of the year, though if nothing comes up I can always postpone as I don't *need* a new laptop right now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5-10 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Depends on whether this laptop is capable of fully replacing my desktop or not

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Would be willing to pay more for an onsite warranty

2. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://www.gentechpc.com/MSI-13-14-Laptops-s/115.htm
    https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/sager-np8957.htm
    https://cukusa.com/laptops/by-display-size/14-inch-laptops.html
    https://xoticpc.com/collections/asus-laptops/products/asus-rog-strix-g-gl531gu-wb74

You can easily upgrade to a 1tb nvme drive with your 2k budget.
    If you're looking for seriously tiny with an emphasis on battery life you'll be looking at a U series processor.....and they flat out suck, don't go there.

I could post about 100 more links real quick, but that would really be meaningless wouldn't it ?

Stay away from dell with their underperforming cooling systemsa and HUGE bloatware problems....same with Lenovo, same with HP.
    Seriously check out the sager at the link I posted and get with GenTech Kevin here on this site, they say they'll give a price break to any member of this forum, work it.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    gs65
    aero 15
    lenovo x1 extreme

three perfect laptops

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 is my suggestion, as well, although it's a little bigger than you want.

HP's ZBook Workstation line is also worth a look.

Charles

JRE84 likes this.
  5. HueyFC

HueyFC Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd look at the MSI Prestige 14 since you're trying to stay small and light but have a powerful package. The issue with it is the soldered RAM but you get a matte screen, 6 core processor, and a dedicated video card for decent 1080p gaming.

If you really want the TSX-NI you'll need to go with one of the newer H processors from what I saw after a quick search on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1_Filter-Family=122139&2_MarketSegment=Mobile
    The 9400H, 9850H and 9880H have it but those are high TDP processors so you won't get them in a small light package.

6. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm still deciding and researching the options right now.

On a side note, the MSI Prestige 14 is emblematic of why this search has been so hard - why do the base and midrange models support 32GB of DDR4 RAM and even have a DIMM slot for post purchase upgrading, while the top model only has 16GB of crappy LPDDR3? You'd think the top model would be no-compromises, or at the very least as good as the base model, but nope, MSI just has to go and completely ruin it for no good reason.