Notebooks vs Desktops in 2020

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Neatman, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cooling is extremely important. My previous two [7805u & G73jh] and current [MSI GT72] were all dual HSFs and I've never had a gaming laptop under seven pounds.

...funny how only my first [SLi1] was without dual HSFs when it was a SLI config with the two GPUs sandwiching the heat pipes ...and it still had to cool the CPU ...and l OC'd the GPUs +10% ...and it somehow still works the last I checked.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Indeed, but we have evidence of laptop cooling that is on par or even surpasses some desktops.
    The most notable example is Acer Helios 500 PH517-61 with Ryzen 2700 and Vega 56.
    That unit has monstrous cooling which can put some desktops to shame under full load no less (where temperatures don't exceed 65 degrees C), and is one of the quietest laptops ever built (even compared to some desktops).

And yes, while the unit in question is relatively thick, its still highly portable (more so in comparison to an actual desktop) - and gives you desktop level performance in a mobile 17" unit.

This only goes to show that OEM's can indeed build laptops with cooling that is not only adequate to allow internal hw to run at its maximum indefinitely (or basically, as long as you need full blown performance) but is also quiet.

Most OEM's however don't really do this though, and they end up cutting corners which results in insufficient cooling along with thermal throttling.

Also, while sizes of laptops are different and a limiting factor for 'conventional cooling', OEM's barely moved beyond conventional implementation of cooling which hadn't been advanced in the last 20 years or so (and not because its impossible, but mainly because OEM's don't see it as too important or too cost prohibitive to bother with).

In cases of thin and light laptops, OEM's should really focus on using cooling and chassis made from better materials which would allow the internal hw to run as it should at all times even when fully stressed.
    Apple for instance uses a full body chassis made of metal which acts like a giant heatsink... something which other laptop manufacturers might take into account and use better material composites for example (carbon based).

The standard cooling which uses rotating fans is also highly outdated.
    Various concepts for better cooling were introduced over the past decade, none of which were implemented into laptops as far as I'm aware (one was a fanless fan essentially, and the other worked similar to a human lung).

Today however, with Zen 2 mobile being released into the mobile world, you have desktop grade performance inside a laptop.

The 4800H for example is a 45W TDP APU with 8c/16th which will in all likelihood be comparable to a desktop Ryzen 3600 in multithreaded tasks.

Higher end laptops will probably incorporate full blown 65W TDP desktop CPU's such as 3700x and 3900 (non x) with mid to high end GPU's (such as 5700 and above).

And Zen 2 should allow for more affordable gaming laptops.
    So, the apparent difference between a laptop an desktop is fading now, but is still there of course.

Laptop OEM's need to be taken into account as their quality control and cooling implementations can be problematic, but I'm hoping Zen 2 will shift things around (only time will tell).

0lok likes this.
  3. Mr.MSI

Mr.MSI Newbie

Reputations:
    I am really hoping that the laptop OEM continue to push the limits, I am a fan of the mobility that comes with the perofmrance laptop. The Zen 2 sounds amazing, I am very excited for the future.

4. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is always going to be a gap due to thermals, unless you can get watercooling in a laptop mainstream. But still, heavy rads won't be desirable.
    To me it's AMAZING that you can get GTX1080 desktop performance and higher in a laptop!