Notebooks vs Desktops in 2020

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Neatman, Dec 30, 2019.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well yeah if for 4k at higher framerates then sure I guess for laptops. Desktop I can't see it though w the cards out there now that also have second hand market. I guess if it's a couple of months to wait sure but I wouldn't wait 6 mos if I had it in mind to get something. I do consider perf between laptop 980(m or regular) and 1060 laptop not that big, yeah it does run cooler and sure you get a thinner laptop, those are not that big of deal to me unless you want oc. Laptop cards don't have that much difference,
    https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/b...RE&reverseOrder=true&types=MOBILE&minRating=0

Edit: as to price it's hard to think newer is cheaper, seems kinda counter intuitive but I don't know I wasn't looking back then.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For instance, I was ready to buy something in Mar-April so I nabbed this LG Gram 17 in March and a Sonnet 550W eGPU enclosure and the Asus Strix 2070 in late April. The RTX Super line came out not long after but I don't regret the purchase at all. It does exactly what I need it to do at the performance level I require. I may swap out the GPU later this year depending on what gets released and if the RT performance is greatly increased. Not really jonesing for it though, my games are all playing extremely well and I'm having fun with my gaming, that's all that really matters in the end. I'm pretty much done chasing gear unless it's an extremely compelling jump in performance for the budget I set or there's a new feature to toy with that exists within the budget I set.

Seems the kicker here is the OP is saying they are looking to purchase in Q1/Q2. If you are still happy with your existing rig and can make it to Q2 that's what I would call "imminent" timing of a product launch. 6 months is a LONG time to wait. Between both AMD and nVidia there's always something 6 months down the road.

hertzian56 likes this.
  3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah true 6 months waiting is too much, but a lot of people in gaming don't have the impulse control in regards to the latest and greatest. Research takes time and ability too. I only got a new desktop card because my old card sold for more than what I paid for it(bought by some company off amazon) and a new card was less than what I got for my old card so I pocketed the difference. When I went to laptops only, the remaining evga warranty was a good selling point on the 1060, easy sale. It certainly wasn't a performance upgrade by much. That was a 970 3.5gb to a 1060 6gb a few years ago before my switch to laptops only. I could have sold the 1060 for even more because of the mining bubble had I paid attention more. Obv the OP wants 4k high fps so a desktop is obv the right choice for cost/perf.- almost always is. Can't stand all these laptops w 2070/2080 with only a FHD screen, makes no sense other than if it has a higher hz/fps screen or using an external high res/refresh screen.

4. Neatman

Neatman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those of you who have had the pleasure, what was your experience like for 4k gaming vs 1080p?

I'm just curious seeing as I've never seen gaming in 4k. Certainly in my brief experiences seeing 4k TVs the difference is astounding. I assumed it would be a similar experience for gaming, but thay doesn't mean it hashes out the same way for another media.

5. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    From no difference at all to a world of difference ... Depending on sitting distance and screen size. If you are a couch gamer with like 50+ inch TV, you can feel it for sure. For a 27" computer screen where you are sitting in front of it, I would say a 1440p resolution with high refresh rate makes much more sense.

On a 15.6" laptop screen, I can personally see the difference but I find it so marginal that it is absolutely unnecessary performance killer, so here 1080p all the way.

TBoneSan, hfm and Prototime like this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For games it doesn't make much of a difference at 15", depending on the game. For games that rely heavily on UI and fonts it can make a big difference. I had a 15.6" 4K laptop and the difference was most stark with the quality of font rendering in UI heavy games like strategy games.

Not gaming related, but productivity apps and web pages look WAY better in 4K. It's mainly font rendering and UI that gets the most lift going from 1080p->4K. If you have a 1440p 15" it might not be as stark. For instance I'm using 1600p at 17" and it's just good enough that I don't see jaggyness and pixels in fonts and UI elements.

Prototime likes this.
  7. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    This is sadly due to crappy windows font renderer, but you are correct in this regard. Fonts look night and day better at 4k, even though I usually use like 300% scaling with 4k :D .

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's nothing wrong with the way windows renders fonts as long as apps use the proper DPI aware APIs. It's at low resolutions they look comparatively like garbage, which makes a lot of sense.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    gee I wonder if a apple tastes better than a orange.....If I was a mod i'd close this thread litterally dropped my IQ to single digits

10. Mr.MSI

Mr.MSI Newbie

Reputations:
    As it relates to the desktop and notebook gap closing, Thermal management will be an issue that cannot be ignored in the gap being closed. Hard ware has become more similar across the two platforms but cooling will be a key element in reliability in my opinion.

thegreatsquare likes this.