notebook with great keyboard but slim bezels

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bearflag, May 1, 2019.

1. bearflag

bearflag Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm looking for a notebook with:
    • ~14-15.6 in screen with slim bezels (very important)
    • higher screen resolution than 1080p (ie 2K, 4K, etc.)
    • great typing experience (this is the most important) - big key travel
    • Windows laptop
    I don't care about anything else (graphics card, camera location, etc.). These are my only requirements.

Naturally I am steering toward a Thinkpad but they don't tend to have slim bezels. The X1 carbon is the closest but I'm not sure if it has good key travel like the other Thinkpads. For example an XPS15 with a Thinkpad keyboard would be ideal.

Does anyone know of the best laptop that would meet these 4 requirements?

Thanks.

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The current X1 Carbon 6th gen still has the full travel depth of modern Thinkpads (1.8mm, iirc). The next gen will cut this down a bit (all in pursuit of a mm shaved off of the body... :(). Bezels are relatively thin on the sides, but a bit more (about 2.1x the sides) on the top, due to webcam placement.

I bought an XPS9343 when it first came out (the first gen "InfinityEdge" laptop that really popularized thin bezels). While the XPS13 wasn't my machine for most of it's life, I don't feel the X1C6 was wasteful in comparison.

As noted by others, I didn't really notice the smaller bezel size of the XPS13 in most of my normal usage (I still have an odd case where the smaller XPS13 can be used without covering up part of my main monitor, on my desk, but part of that is due to the XPS13 having a smaller display). That being said, if I used the XPS13 as my primary machine for a few years, I may have a very different opinion on that matter.

The X1E is among the larger laptops (read: larger bezels) of the 15.6" "thin bezel" crowd. It still should be okay (maybe not the thinnest bezels, but it isn't wasting too much space).

On another note, I have an X1C6 WQHD right now, and I feel the 1440p display is still a bit too highDPI for Windows to handle well (not without wasting the workspace advantage of a high resolution display), but also a bit too highDPI for my eyes to use at native or near native DPI. It really gets ugly when switching between docked/undocked, with my external monitors (one at 1440p, another at 1920x1200). However, your workflow and usage requirements (and eyes!) are likely different than mine, so you may be fine with it.

As it stands, I am generally okay with the mix of compromises Lenovo chose for the 6th gen X1 Carbon, though I am looking to upgrade to a larger-display laptop sooner, instead of using it into the ground (as my previous laptops have been). When it comes to a 15.6" laptop, I'll probably share your same requirements. Smallest bezels possible, in order to minimize footprint.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Wow, that was embarrassingly poorly written. I've made a few grammatical edits to my post to rectify that.

EDIT: still editing. I really need to proofread my longer posts before submitting them.

4. bearflag

bearflag Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just saw that the new 4th gen X1 yoga that will released next month will have slimmer bezels than the previous generation. Maybe I'll check that out.

5. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    It will be comparable to the current X1 Carbon 6th gen (it's still slightly larger in footprint). The X1Y4 will also feature less key travel than it's predecessor.

323mm x 217mm for the X1C6 and 323mm x 218mm for the X1Y4.