Notebook with built-in projector?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by fmyhr, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmyhr

fmyhr Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Recently came across David Pogue's NYT review of a couple of pico projectors. The AAXA L1 laser projector sounds pretty darn cool. Some other forum members have written positive reviews of similar projectors:
    Got to thinking -- Would it be cool to have a pico projector built into your ThinkPad or IdeaPad? I can think of at least 2 uses:

1. Presentations (of course :) )

2. Maybe *replace* the LCD entirely? If you're near a wall (or the seatback of the person flying in front of you) you can just project on that. Otherwise you could use a portable screen -- perhaps also built into the notebook, so that it would unfold / roll out from the laptop base. You could have a large physical display size in a small, portable notebook.

What do you think? Would you be interested in a laptop with a projector built in?

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    i don't you would need the projector built-in into your laptop.

1) There is no real point of doing this as this offers no real advantages. To get a good picture with projector, the surface on which the images are projected need to flat and the room has to be dark enough. Current picoproject's LED light is not strong enough to project large enough high def image.

2) The picoprojector real benefit is its portability...

one of the nikon compact digital camera has a built in pico projector. Also, the current pico projector phones are why too thick and can't be used long enough with the phone's small battery.

3. centrino321

centrino321 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think 1) might not be quite true with laser projectors since there's no focus necessary. Here's some links:

http://www.aaxatech.com/news/l1_laser_pico_projector.html
    http://www.microvision.com/store/Limited-Edition-SHOWWX™-Laser-Pico-Projector-p-37.html

Both the Microvision and AAXA laser projectors say they are "focusless".

I think we're a bit aways from laptop powered ones. The pico and micro projectors are still pretty large in size to go into the back of my laptop. I've seen the projector phone ones, but those provide terrible quality video - I think you need at least 30 lumens to do anything. The AAXA M1 is pretty cool for daylight / bright areas I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCSM6PdbEM

4. computerwiz908

computerwiz908 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. arsenic004

arsenic004 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There comes a point where device features need to stop...otherwise you get a device that's a jack of all trades and master of none.

6. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it is an awesome addition to the thinkpad. My only question will be, where the optical output should be placed, if it was at a static location,or if movable, whether it will look ugly ornot and how to control the projection direction

7. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Reputations:
  8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Oh, LOL. Couldn't figure it out then saw that the screen is removable to put on an overhead projector. LOL. That's thinking outside the box.

9. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These microprojectors suck unless you're in a pitch black room. They simply don't have the brightness to give a good image in majority of situations.

10. picochan

picochan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This thread may be a bit old, but there are companies who are working on computers where the projector is the main form of display and some of them are using the laser keyboards too. Will be interesting to see the final products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.