Notebook, which video output should I look for!?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FelipeRRM, Sep 1, 2019.

1. FelipeRRM

FelipeRRM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am planning on purchasing a high-end gaming notebook to replace my desktop (that has a 980ti). I am still deciding between RTX 2070 or RTX 2080, but what I am wondering is, which output port should the notebook have in order to give me a nice ultrawide monitor experience? I have not bought the screen yet, but will probably be the 34" Alienware or the to be released LG 38. But I want to be able to use GSync and the high refresh rate at ultrawide 1440p. Heard not all ports work with GSync, so guess it is important to buy a compatible notebook as well. The lack of HDMI 2.1 options makes me wonder if this is the right time to buy a new notebook, as apparently this new standard is the future, but no company has included it in their systems yet...

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thunderbolt 3

3. FelipeRRM

FelipeRRM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do not think it is this simple. I was researching and apparently the laptop cannot have Optimus, otherwise the output will always go through the integrate Intel GPU first and therefore will never have GSync enabled. But this information is not easily findable. Must be sure the notebook supports it.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    while true, your asking about a port and thunder bolt is your best bet....you already know about optimus so yeah it is that simple