Notebook Warranty Guide

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by srdhkl, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yun

yun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    squaretrade has cheapest warranty , but I don't have any experience with them

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's a good point, however it is the difference between a first-class and coach plane ticket. You are going to get to the destination one way or another, just it is more comfortable to do it with first-class. Naturally, you pay for that privilege.
    For those that value premium customer service, a premium warranty may be worth it. However, it is not something that I would explicitly recommend to someone buying a laptop. The benefit is not always clear-cut. How much better is the service? The answer: it depends. Service is variable.
    A two-year warranty has the clear-cut benefit of adding an additional year of coverage over the standard warranty. The same goes for an accidental damage warranty - it adds tangible features to the list of things you get. "Better" customer service in premium warranties is ambiguous.

I understand the point you are making though, thanks for adding it to the discussion.

3. miggs78

miggs78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know that, Just so we are on the same page, Asus offers a 2yr warranty, the 1st year is Accidental and the second is standard. The way Asus displays it, confuses a person when he looks it at the first time, thinking it is 3 years, but it is not.

And also Asus gives an option to extend another year, so you do get a 3yr, 1st year accidental and then 2yrs standard, although I agree on the 3 years warranty, especially with a full 3yrs of accidental, I wish Asus had that option too to extend the accidental for the rest of the 2yrs with a fee.

Although I find Dell ripping people off on the mainstream laptops, imo 3 yrs complete care for $400, worthless.. I rather get a Lenovo Ideapad and pay only $260 for a 3yr next business day on site support w/accidental, a good chunk of savings.

If you're buying an HP, then yes that is the only time I suggest a warranty from Future Shop, since they stock HP parts so the repairs are done right there without sending the laptop out to manufacturer.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Interesting that FutureShop stocks HP parts - that is good to know. That might be an exception for buying an in-store warranty.
    Do you know what kind of parts Best Buy stocks (if any)?

5. miggs78

miggs78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Charles, I only know that since I was told my one of the sales rep, off course he was being honest and telling me not to buy HP laptops due to the overheating problems, guy even showed me at the back, compared it to a cheap Toshiba, the different in heatpipe thickness was definitely something to see.

But that is what the sales rep told me that if I would buy an HP, they stock the parts.

6. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    I do kind of agree with retail warranties(since I, like Angelic, have to sell some at work), but most stores here in Canada actually lose money when selling notebooks(i.e. it's a net loss) so that's why they pressure employees into selling either warranties or accessories(the latter being easier).

I've honestly little experience in manufacturer warranty other than the ones with "24/7 support" for business level machines(we use HP's for our workstations and more importantly our servers), but I agree that retail warranties are a bit of a rip off. They play on people's ignorance or their inability to do things themselves(ex: ship things to the manufacturer or follow basic on phone checkups by the manufacturer). The only good thing I know about electronics warranties at retail stores is that they insure the battery for wear & tear for the lifetime of the warranty which most manufacturers don't.

7. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The cost of a OEM warranty can also vary greatly, even within a OEM own lines. For example, a 3 year NBD warranty (non-pro service) can vary between Dell's own branding (Inspiron to Vostro to Latitude). It really shows you which lines they have more confidence in lasting longer.

8. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    AFAIK, we only stock common items like memory and hard drives. Most parts are ordered as needed. ;)

Yup, computers in retail stores are always sold on a net loss of around 2-5%. Accessories and warranties are needed, and they will sell them to people any way possible. It's the only way to stay competitive.

9. miggs78

miggs78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes that is very true, here in Canada the only way they make money on selling computers is warranty and accessories, they will push you very very hard on getting the extended warranty.

But we all know if we play smart, we can get the reps to agree on all the things that their warranties don't cover, but really it is nice to see people like Angelic and Melody who have adequate knowledge not trying to sell store based warranties to customer, it is still better than not having one, but certainly recommend the manufacturers. *Salute*

10. JamesRupp

JamesRupp Newbie

Reputations:
    Below is the opening paragraph from what my basic Dell warranty covers from a recent purchase of a new computer. By mistake I only took a one year basic warranty and when I discovered my error they wanted an absurd price for a three warranty so I extended it through Square Trade. You will note it states labor only. I have four other dell computers under extended warranties and they have always covered parts and labor.

For convenience, your Service Plan Agreement is shown below. The term of this Agreement begins on the
    effective date.
    SERVICE PLAN AGREEMENT
    Information Page
    Sales Rep:DELL & ACCESS
    Technical Support: 1-800-624-9896
    Customer Support: 1-800-624-9897
    This agreement covers the item(s) listed below:
    DESCRIPTION MODEL SERIAL NO. DELL INVOICE NO. SEQUENCE NO. EFFECTIVE DATE SERVICE TERM AGREEMENT PR

Service Saver Incorporated

ADAMO 13 4XN 550656909 23 12/13/2010 Labor Only 12 months .00
    DEC - (07/10)
    Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
    Service Saver Incorporated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.