Notebook to replace Desktop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by meestapeta, Dec 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meestapeta

meestapeta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum because I'm just now considering a notebook for the first time. I am a college student and would want a windows based notebook to:

-run basic applications, like word, excel, email (mozilla)
    -come equipped with wireless internet capability
    -play music through mp3 and cd (i dont know if there are internal speakers that are any good, would consider external)
    -burn cds and possibly dvds (if dvd-r is not too expensive)
    -watch dvd movies
    -play occasional pc games

I would want it to cost under $1500, run windows xp, and have a large screen size. I don't care if it is heavy or large, it only needs to be much more compact than my desktop so I can travel with it easily. Long battery life is a plus but not altogether necessary.

I've heard bad things about Dell and Gateway's reliability and customer service. This is another important thing for me - I will be traveling outside of the US and need my notebook to be reliable, because I may not be able to bring it in for service or anything.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have some general computer knowledge but am new to notebooks, so any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

2. meestapeta

meestapeta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I don't remember posting under hardware... if it makes anybody feel better I wasn't trying to be rude, I noticed other people had asked for advice under "Notebook and Tech Bargains" so I did too.

But thanks for the warm welcome.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I moved you ;) This is a new forum, so that's why there aren't as many "what should I buy?" posts. We'll tow the others as well.

I don't think knocking Dell's service is appropriate. While they're not perfect, they are pretty solid and usually very fair. You might consider a 5150, though with the upgrades you might need for gaming, that will put you over $1500. I doubt you'll see DVD burning for that price range in a Dell or many other mfgs for that matter.

For intnerational service, you may think about a brand lilke Fujitsu, who is well respected and pretty popular globally. I have a Fuji on the way and everyone I know who has one raves about it. Check out the C2230, the middle config can be had for less than or right at $1500.

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=AC

Brian

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.